Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Prioritisation - BBYW to Value/Unlimited

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Traffic Prioritisation - BBYW to Value/Unlimited

I am now seriously looking at  changing from BBYW Option 1 10GB to Value (saves money on Market 3 exchange).
However I am confused about traffic prioritisation.
It would appear from this picture that to get the same prioritisation as on Option 1 I would need to go to unlimited which costs significantly more but even then a chunk is classified as gold plated.
Are the traffic priority classifications comparable
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Traffic Prioritisation - BBYW to Value/Unlimited

Hi Jim,
http://kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm should give you a better idea of how everything is classified from a rate limiting perspective.
It really boils down to what you use the internet for.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

James,
I am aware of that but those are the expected maximum speeds not the expected typical or minimum speeds.
This is why I question the traffic prioritisation.
For example on P2P the BBYW Option 1 and Value the maximum speeds are the same but one is in the Bronze queue and the other is Best Effort which I assume is worse than Bronze.
Similarly external FTP is Gold on Option 1 but Gold Plated on Value - it must be assumed therefore that in both those cases, although the maximum expected speeds are the same the actual speeds could be significantly different.
Hence my question about prioritisation. It is well known that the aim of the management system is to minimise gold packet drops then it would seem reasonable to assume that external FTP on BBYW Option 1 will be more likely to hit the rate limit than on Value where it is gold plated.
scootie
Grafter

all i can add to this oldjim is that the gold plated queue is not a queue iam friends with at the moment Sad
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Just had a further look - if I want less shaping and a bit more usage BBYW Option 2 is better than Unlimited and cheaper as well
James
Grafter

Hi Jim,
Firstly "Best Effort" and "Bronze" are practically the same thing.
Secondly, if BBYW2 offers you better management rules than Unlimited and fits within your usage requirements, then I'd certainly suggest going for that option.
scootie
Grafter

yeah if op2 meets your usage needs there abouts i would go with that as least you have abit more breathing room if you need to change product's again. go to unlimited and your options are limited abit
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Jameseh
............. "Best Effort" and "Bronze" are practically the same thing..............................

Could we please have a more quantified answer to that one?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'm going to have to jump in and correct James on this one (sorry James!). The Bronze and Best Effort queues are *not* the same. As assumed by Oldjim, the Best Effort queue is designed to be worse than the Bronze queue. Take a look at the 'Plus Non Interactive' queue on the packet drop graphs - AIUI that's Best Effort.
In practice the performance in both queues will be comparable and your speeds on each should be near to the published maximum speeds.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵