cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Managment

valart
Grafter

Traffic Managment

Can someone explain what traffic managment means and do I fall in this category when there are times when my download speed goes from 9mbs to 1.45mbs and my upload is zero,this is bearable because it is back to normal today i'm just curious why this happens.
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Traffic Managment

Which exchange are you on?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
valart
Grafter

I live in north London the exchange is Southgate and I was told by the BT engineer that put a new plate in for me said that I am some distance from the exchange and said 9mbs download is the best I will get.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Is it particular times of the day it does slow?
Are you connected to the router wired or wireless? If wireless do you see the same slowdown with a wired connection.
Are the slowdowns associated with disconnections?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
valart
Grafter

I think it is wireless and I use my laptop for a couple of hours every evening about the same time It does disconnects rouglhly about once a month but reconnects quickly,the router goes straight into the mainplate which is filtered,you will have to bear with me being a old timer at 77 years young who's birthday it is today I find it hard to grasp some of these technical questions.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: valart
Can someone explain what traffic management means

Dave can....http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

HI Valart,
I'm pretty sure that what you are describing isn't traffic management, but is more likely to be some sort of Broadband Fault or equipment problem.  We just need to diagnose what's going on!  If you are seeing periodic slowness during the day, go to http://faults.plus.net, login and raise a fault with us.  This will ask you some questions to help us work out what is going on and allow us to run some tests.
Post back here if you need a further hand  IN the mean time, Jelv and some of the other community members are good at helping to diagnose what's going on.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
valart
Grafter

Thanks for your reply I will keep a eye on it and get back to you at the moment it's fine and it could be like this for weeks so like the saying if it works don't fix it.