Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management

jan
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Traffic Management

Hi All,
I am on fibre unlimited. I have been for just over three weeks.  I understand there is traffic management which prioritises certain traffic over others and that's fine.
Tonight I tried to download a small torrent (around 300MB)  but the speed was very slow but suspiciously steady at around 800kbps. Now it wasn't the best seeded torrent in the world, so as a test I added a couple of others - one with an availability ratio of 8.1 and over 12,000 seeds.  Regardless of how well seeded the torrents, the total bandwidth achievable remains the same at 800kbps just being spread amongst all torrents. 
Normal speed testing is averaging 63 / 17 mbps  it is only bit torrent traffic that appears to be limited to 100 KBps.  I thought traffic management meant that protocols were prioritised rather than throttled to a particular speed?
Was I labouring under the wrong impression?
Thanks,
Jan
10 REPLIES 10
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Traffic Management

Hi Jan,
I'm sorry to hear that you're having problems using P2P. You're correct we do use Traffic Prioritisation. Did you have any other devices connected at the time of downloading or any other people using different services such as Youtube or BBC iPlayer?
jan
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
There are a few devices connected which are using nominal bandwidth (e-mail clients) & 1 machine doing a bit of web browsing, but no streaming or other active usage. The usual speedtest sites (bt, speedtest, tbb and the one linked from my account page) are giving between 55 - 63 / 17 mbps  which is slightly slower than normal but nothing out of the ordinary.  I have never seen P2P traffic stay at such a constant low speed except for when I have throttled it myself.
I wondered if my account was on the wrong profile or anything? Although this is also the only time I have seen this happen in the several weeks I have been a member.
J
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There will be nothing wrong with your profiles on our end as you're getting a throughput speed of around 55-63Mbps.
Are you able to stream okay?
I'd be more than happy to investigate further on this for you tomorrow. We aren't restricting your P2P speeds as it should be at line rate.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Hi Jan, we've seen another user this evening seeming a similar problem with usenet.  This is definitely not normal and we will be investigating.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks Kelly - I'm the user he is referring to Smiley
Please investigate because I'm getting speeds on usenet from 1999 or earlier!
jan
Rising Star

Hi Chris,
 I have just tried streaming some HD content from the BBC (7 minutes worth) and it is working fine, no buffering. P2P speed remains constant at ~100KBps.  It is certainly not critical, but it is puzzling. For now I'll probably investigate my local configuration first but if the problem persists I might need some help.  
I noticed another thread where someone's usenet speed sank to a not dissimilar 1MBps, not related though I guess?
[edit] - a maybe it is related after all! Smiley
cheers,
Jan
[edit 2] I should add that I don't use the default BitTorrent port but one in the 61000's
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jan,
Thanks for getting back in touch.
As Kelly said, this will be investigated, really sorry it is happening (That goes for you too shalom2010 Smiley )
I will give your connection a look over tomorrow though just to be thorough.
jan
Rising Star

Hi all,
Just to let you know, my P2P traffic has jumped back up to normal speeds in the last 20m or so.
cheers,
J
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for letting us know, that really does help.
@shalom2010
Have yours done so as well?
shalom2010
Grafter

Sorry Chris (I was in bed!) - This morning Usenet is at line speed again:)
I am Fibre Unlimited so there should be no capping at all on Usenet. Incidentally outside of Usenet my speeds where line speed (57.5 Mbps) & I tried various ports on Usenet all less than 1 Mbps (worse than dial up!).