cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

jaxster
Dabbler

Re: Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

I thought this was fixed earlier.. was getting decent speeds on my newsgroup servers but its went to pot again and only getting about 14kBs Sad
David_W
Rising Star

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll revert to "normal" profile at midnight like it was before 4pm, I'm 1/2 way through a large download and don't really want it to cut into my allowance if I have to start it around (or later than) midday tomorrow.  Plus I want to download tonights Top Gear from iPlayer!
/edit - downloading from iPlayer at 4Mb/sec, 20 mins to download a 700Mb file!  Cheesy
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Afternoon folks,
Am about to update Service Status however thought I'd pop in here first...
Unfortunately the network hurdle from last night has taken us most of the day to resolve. I think we're now in a position though where we can test the cleanup script on a few customers. @David W, I've asked for you to be one of the first. Once we're confident we're in a good place, we'll run the script en masse against all of the other accounts.
Quote from: WWWombat
I can't help but feel that having any type of quota associated with a prioritisation-level is the wrong thing to do. Surely "gold-plated" should always be higher priority than "silver", no matter how much has been used?

It's not quite as simple as that unfortunately.
The reason I'm a bit leery is, as dirtymonkey pointed out, the CDN is gradually being used as a cache for more than just multimedia content, and is now including many common "small files" such as javascript and even text content, to aid in the speed of loading of sites to end-users. In the long run I'd rather that PN's traffic management was clever enough to allow the "small files" through at the "Gold" level to match standard "Browsing & Email"

AFAIK there is Ellacoya hardware capable of identifying traffic by MIME type, but we don't own any of it so our platform isn't currently capable of doing this. Personally, I didn't think there was much in the way of text/css hosted with Akamai/Limelight networks? Even if there is, the platform is designed to perform well enough for it not to be a significant problem. To further confuse matters, we never hit capacity in the Gold-Plated queue whilst  the problem was happening so I've a snaking suspicion something else might be at play?
In the meantime, I'd suggest a different wording:
"Content Distribution Networks (CDNs) are used behind the scenes to deliver some of the content for many popular websites (for example, the BBC, eBay and Facebook) and many Music, Video and Game downloads (such as from Apple, Microsoft, PSN and XBLA).  For some websites, the CDN may be delivering only the larger multimedia files, while for other sites, even smaller image and text files will be included. Depending on your account type, content and downloads from these sources may be slowed during busy times."
If you're not happy with such a big change to the paragraph, my other option would have been to change "multimedia" into "cached", but I thought this would be less understood by most people:
"Most downloads from Apple/Microsoft, PSN/XBLA downloads and cached content from many sites (for example the BBC, eBay and Facebook) are hosted on one of the above Content Distribution Networks. Depending on your account type, downloads from these sources may be slowed during busy times."

Based on what I've written above, I don't think we need to include reference to text/css etc. I'd consider this more a problem than a design feature.
The extra things I'd suggest are:

• The Traffic Prioritisation page mentions the two download categories, but makes no mention of the CDN being impacted. It is only if you follow the link to the "download servers" page do you see the CDN impact (but why would you, if you were only browsing the BBC website?). I think it should be clearer on the main page.

How about an asterisk or similar next to Web browsing in the table that links to a caveat along the lines of:
[quote author="Proposed text"]* Please note that some browsing activities may call on content that is hosted by Download Sites & Servers and will therefore be in the 'Gold Plated' queue on certain account types.

The Download Site/Server info in hyperlinked in varous places on that page. Perhaps we can add a caveat similar to the above under the 'Please be aware that:' bit?
  • Then, on the Download Servers page, the CDNs are mentioned. However, it isn't clear whether CDN traffic is categoried in the "sites" or "servers" categorisation. This is important where the speed differs between the two categories (which is every package) or where the prioritisation differs (which is the business packages). The distinction between "sites" and "servers" isn't particularly clear, so I can't guess the category...

CDN's fall under servers, I can ask that it's made clearer on that page.
  • Back on the Traffic Prioritisation page, the only reference to "gold-plated" is to say "*Gold Plated traffic (and some Gold Traffic) may be rate limited to prevent impact on interactive/Gold traffic at busy times. See Download Sites & servers to find out more about this."
    Unfortunately, there is nothing explained about the gold-plated rate limits on the linked page.

Perhaps refer customers to the Download Sites & servers *and* Expected Speeds page?
Keen not to go into the specifics about queue weighting as it's subject to change and isn't easily explained (or understood).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

David_W
Rising Star

NP Bob, anything you want me to do after 4PM?  Watch iPlayer in HD or download a file?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'll let you know once the script's been run against your account David. A download from Microsoft should give us an idea as to whether or not the problem's fixed...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

We're running the script against your account now David so it should be fixed during the next 30mins or so...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

David_W
Rising Star

mseinstall.exe 23.3 kB/s - 629 kB of 9.5 MB, 6 mins left
That was a d/l from Microsoft.
Youtube is still stuttering.
/edit - dotNetFx35setup.exe 23.2 kB/s - 196 kB of 2.7 MB, 1 min left
Doesn't appear fixed?
/edit2 - can't stream videos on Crunchyroll yet either so yep, appears that I'm still being throttled, luckily only  4 mins till midnight.
WWWombat
Grafter

Hi Bob,
Quote from: Bob
I can't help but feel that having any type of quota associated with a prioritisation-level is the wrong thing to do. Surely "gold-plated" should always be higher priority than "silver", no matter how much has been used?

It's not quite as simple as that unfortunately.

As you point out below, something funny is happening... perhaps it isn't quite complex enough either 😉
The reason I'm a bit leery is, as dirtymonkey pointed out, the CDN is gradually being used as a cache for more than just multimedia content, and is now including many common "small files" such as javascript and even text content, to aid in the speed of loading of sites to end-users. In the long run I'd rather that PN's traffic management was clever enough to allow the "small files" through at the "Gold" level to match standard "Browsing & Email"

AFAIK there is Ellacoya hardware capable of identifying traffic by MIME type, but we don't own any of it so our platform isn't currently capable of doing this. Personally, I didn't think there was much in the way of text/css hosted with Akamai/Limelight networks? Even if there is, the platform is designed to perform well enough for it not to be a significant problem. To further confuse matters, we never hit capacity in the Gold-Plated queue whilst  the problem was happening so I've a snaking suspicion something else might be at play?

Then that is the worrying aspect... just what was causing people to fail to view BBC pages? I assume this will be investigated...
I did a quick look at the BBC News homepage. It looks like there is a dependency on Akamai for 3 images, and one javascript file. There are plenty of other Javascript and CSS files that could be offloaded to Akamai, but don't appear to be.
Ebay has offloaded both Javascript & CSS files to Akamai.
And I know of a number of fairly plain websites that have started to offload content onto CDNs, but I couldn't say it was Akamai or Limelight in particular. I've even started investigating it myself (via vps.net). Vps.net themselves said "We believe this is a killer combo, host the site on the Cloud and the static content on the CDN We are serving Images, JS/jQuery and some other scripts for the CDN at the moment "
In the meantime, I'd suggest a different wording:
<snip>

Based on what I've written above, I don't think we need to include reference to text/css etc. I'd consider this more a problem than a design feature.

OK. I'll leave that to your judgement.
The extra things I'd suggest are:

• The Traffic Prioritisation page mentions the two download categories, but makes no mention of the CDN being impacted. It is only if you follow the link to the "download servers" page do you see the CDN impact (but why would you, if you were only browsing the BBC website?). I think it should be clearer on the main page.

How about an asterisk or similar next to Web browsing in the table that links to a caveat along the lines of:
[quote author="Proposed text"]* Please note that some browsing activities may call on content that is hosted by Download Sites & Servers and will therefore be in the 'Gold Plated' queue on certain account types.

That seems OK but, as the CDN traffic is classified under "servers" alone, I'd make the text parts of the link just "Download Servers".

The Download Site/Server info in hyperlinked in varous places on that page. Perhaps we can add a caveat similar to the above under the 'Please be aware that:' bit?

That looks to be the right kind of place for that.
  • Back on the Traffic Prioritisation page, the only reference to "gold-plated" is to say "*Gold Plated traffic (and some Gold Traffic) may be rate limited to prevent impact on interactive/Gold traffic at busy times. See Download Sites & servers to find out more about this."
    Unfortunately, there is nothing explained about the gold-plated rate limits on the linked page.

Perhaps refer customers to the Download Sites & servers *and* Expected Speeds page?
Keen not to go into the specifics about queue weighting as it's subject to change and isn't easily explained (or understood).

I guess the problem I have is that "gold-plated" is specially highlighted in the list, and you are told to look elsewhere for an explanation... but there is none that I can find. I don't think the solution is to point at extra links that don't have the explanation either.
Strictly speaking, there isn't actually an explanation of any of the other levels either, and we're left to make the rational judgement that, say, silver is higher priority than bronze etc.
If "gold-plated" can be understood by a similar rational judgement, then the solution is easy... don't highlight it at all, and don't explain it. But it doesn't sound like it is a simple judgement.
If you aren't keen to describe the tech detail behind the "gold-plated" class, is there a way that people can at least understand what the impact of it is? Does it mean that traffic is sometimes equivalent to "gold", and sometimes worse than "bronze"? Are the rates & limits that apply within an end-user's control (eg counters associated with my account), or are they pooled across many users?
Or alternatively, perhaps the explanation is to say what the special rules prevent. For example "Gold-plated is a priority level between gold and silver that works, for the most part, as gold. When the network becomes loaded, some/all/excess Gold-plated traffic gets treated similar to bronze, and is more likely to be dropped". Or maybe the distinction only appears in abnormal circumstances.
I don't know what "gold-plated" is, so my examples and suggestions are a bit wooly. Sorry...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

out of interest the darling Beeb has changed something last week, one of my programs uses Beeb RSS and that is now failing, however my firefox feed for the same RSS is still working
David_W
Rising Star

Trying to download from MS again:
dotNetFx35setup.exe 27.0 kB/s - 687 kB of 2.7 MB, 1 min left
Youtube still stuttering, maybe it's just me?  It's alright off peak hours, I can stream HD.
mmcilroy
Grafter

For the past 3 evenings my speeds have been abysmal. 0.1Mbps down and 0.06 up. Before this I was getting about 23Mbps down and 8Mbps up. Speeds during the day today were acceptable (8Mbps down / up). Any chance I'm affected by the problems mentioned in this thread.
fatdeeman
Grafter

My speeds have completely died again on sites such as ebay and facebook, microsoft updates taking an age too. Again this much much much worse than I ever experienced whilst under traffic management.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@David W, mmcilroy & fatdeeman,
I really don't think these issues are to do with what happened the other day. If you start a fresh thread with your issues we can take it from there.
Jojo Smiley
fatdeeman
Grafter

Hmmm well it's the exact same sites as the other day that make me feel like I'm trying to browse through treacle (the same sites other people were having problems with) whilst sites like the plusnet site continue to run at full speed. I'm also getting full speeds off peak. So it's the same symptoms as the major problem 48 hours ago caused, my speeds are fine off peak which suggests it's something to do with traffic management but you really don't think it's related?
I think I'm supposed to be the lowest level of throttling at the moment but again I'm basically getting timeouts from most sites whereas usually I see no effect on browsing no matter what level of throttling I'm being subjected to.
fatdeeman
Grafter

And suddenly everything is normal again the instant we go off peak!