Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

[quote=DM]jelv you tell me where in the original statement does it mention CDN's and how they effect seemingly ordinary websites! If you are unsure then I'll tell you... NOWHERE! Therefore it is only natural for people to think the issue they are experiencing is unrelated.
You're right, it wasn't apparent in the first update, although I did post that reason here, here, here and here
Jojo Smiley
knowdice
Rising Star

It seems that from the first Service Status announcement that Plusnet were unaware of the full impact of this simple "disk failure"
Certainly the heading "View My Usage / Traffic Management system" or content of the message doesn't seem to fully encompass the faults that are being seen.
Maybe a new Service Status message with a more meaningful title and accurate description of faults likely to be seen would be in order.
theoule
Grafter

Can't you just take the throttles off the Akami addresses etc?
You could put them back when you've fixed it.
It does seem odd that you are only just sending engineers for a problem that happened at 9PM last night.
KaotiK
Grafter

the biggest issue here is i cannot get on world of warcraft because the launcher, to the game needs to buffer or something the error is saying :@@@@@@@@@
hehe Cheesy
hope this is fixed sooon
adele
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi adele,
You may be seeing your router uptime, which will often just show the length of time your router has been powered up for. Below are your connection logs for today

Jojo Smiley

Connection failed isn't actually showing on there but session closed is. If session closed is classed as disconnected then that explains why I'm affected. Thanks for the explanation
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
[quote=DM]jelv you tell me where in the original statement does it mention CDN's and how they effect seemingly ordinary websites! If you are unsure then I'll tell you... NOWHERE! Therefore it is only natural for people to think the issue they are experiencing is unrelated.

You're right, it wasn't apparent in the first update, although I did post that reason here, here, here and here
Jojo Smiley

Jojo I'm sorry but it does beg the question why didn't you update the service status page? the only page that really matters. Even if you had unfortunately the average user would not of made or understood the connection between CDN's and seemingly non-download sites. Tongue
Anyhow enough said on the whole matter. I'm going for a cup of tea and expect it fixed when I come back!  Grin
DM.
KABOOM!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Can't you just take the throttles off the Akami addresses etc?
You could put them back when you've fixed it.

We can't just 'lift' the traffic management due to the nature of the problem. If we could make these sorts of changes then we wouldn't be stuck in '9pm mode'. It's technically possible to reroute traffic around the switches I guess but I'd imagine that will take longer than fixing the problem itself. I'd also be against doing this anyway because without the traffic management switches in place, latency and time sensitive stuff like VoIP, streaming and gaming will all suffer.
It does seem odd that you are only just sending engineers for a problem that happened at 9PM last night.

We're not just sending the engineers now, there have been people working on this issue throughout last night and today. We've sent our engineers from Sheffield down today but due to the travel distance and conditions it may take them a while to get there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
f513toy
Grafter

Speedtest shows me at 40Mb/s (wirelessly)  however downloading speed is practically nil, or stopped - streaming Iplayer/Youtube stuttering badly too. Yes I have disconnected/reconnected because no one told me (actually my son) not to as I couldn't get on to check any bulletins etc. Am I stuck with a default profile now or will the one I had in place before yesterday be reinstated.  Huh
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: f513toy
. Am I stuck with a default profile now or will the one I had in place before yesterday be reinstated.  Huh

I'm afraid It'll be stuck until we fix the issue, sorry.
Jojo Smiley
elementaltm
Rising Star

Speedtest shows me at 40Mb/s (wirelessly)  however downloading speed is practically nil, or stopped - streaming Iplayer/Youtube stuttering badly too. Yes I have disconnected/reconnected because no one told me (actually my son) not to as I couldn't get on to check any bulletins etc. Am I stuck with a default profile now or will the one I had in place before yesterday be reinstated.  Huh

Hi f513toy, you really need to read the thread and service status the poor old support guys [and gels] are getting a hammering from people who aren't doing both. However I will tell you that you are now stuck on the default profile until they resolve the problem and you reboot your router, DM.
[edit Jojo beat me to replying, got my cuppa-T and I really am logging of this forum now]
KABOOM!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Anyhow enough said on the whole matter. I'm going for a cup of tea and expect it fixed when I come back!  Grin

are you going to China for the leaves then Roll_eyes Roll_eyes
f513toy
Grafter

Will I have to ask for my previous profile to be reinstated or will it happen automatically?
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre

are you going to China for the leaves then Roll_eyes Roll_eyes

Luckily the T-leaf transfer remains unaffected as the throughput is sufficient enough even in the default profile.  Tongue
DM.
KABOOM!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Speedtest shows me at 40Mb/s (wirelessly)  however downloading speed is practically nil, or stopped

Your wireless speed has little to do with this problem. If you run a speedtest here you should see speeds similar to what you're used to. My machine at home's been assigned a default profile and I'm getting this (which is normal):

The rate limiting on the default profile is similar to that which is in place for our Broadband Plus legacy product. See the 8pm-10pm column in the table about half way down this page.
For those that haven't disconnect reconnected since 9pm last night, the experience you'll be getting now is all dependent on your account type.
streaming Iplayer/Youtube stuttering badly too.

Standard/low definition stuff should be OK but you may well struggle with the higher quality streams.
Yes I have disconnected/reconnected because no one told me (actually my son) not to as I couldn't get on to check any bulletins etc. Am I stuck with a default profile now or will the one I had in place before yesterday be reinstated.  Huh

You're stuck with the default profile until we manage to fix the underlying problem and clean up the 'broken' accounts...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Force9Original
Grafter

So far , surprisingly,  todays been one of the best days for smoth , quick browsing* .....  Shocked  not expecting it to last though
There's downside however , it highlights how poor, "normal"  service can be.  Sad
* (Resync yesterday before 9pm