Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

puddy
Grafter

Re: Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE

Thanks for the help Jojo
@service status At approximately 9pm last night one of our databases suffered a disk failure

If the problem was one disk failing why has it caused so many problems?
Surely 1 disk failing whould not throw the whole service out would it and why was their no back up disk that should have stopped this?
The question not a moan but plusnet must have a back up plan but what went wrong?
Puddy
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: adagio
I too am suffering nntp throttling. ~320 kbps at 14.50. I am on Option 3 and should be NR until 16.00. plusnet download speed test a perfectly respectable (for my line) 2200 kbps.

Sorry  Cry should have looked at the Service Status page.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

[quote=Puddy]but plusnet must have a back up plan but what went wrong?
Of course we do and we don't know the ins and outs yet but when we do we'll be sure to let everyone know.
Jojo Smiley
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: adiewoo
It's affecting everyone, not just you. Please read the status update.

Ok I don't think that issue relates to the problems I am having. If I run speed tests they report normal throughput for my connection but I cannot browse sites unrelated to 'default traffic management profile', e.g. BBC, Amazon etc. In fact the issue seems totally random for both sites affected and when. I certainly wouldn't class these sites as "Download sites".
I am going to obtain some data captures from Wireshark and log a support ticket as so far (in my case) I do not agree with any response from tech support.
DM.
KABOOM!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

you may find that a lot of sites have their content served by Akami, which is classed as a download server.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
knowdice
Rising Star

DM
I'm seeing what sounds exactly the same as you - i.e. speed test is Ok but poor HTTP response from BBC Ebay etc.
And VisualRoute is showing packet loss of 14% at pcl-ag02
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
HI guys,
many of these sites use content providers such as the ones listed here to for some of the content and images on their sites so this all stems from the same issue.
Jojo Smiley

If you are classing "legitimate" sites such as Amazon, BBC that utilise CDN's as "Download sites and servers" and therefore penalising your average Plusnet customer, then that is just plain wrong!
DM.
KABOOM!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI DM,
We're not penalising anyone, that would infer we were restricting customers purposely. These issues are caused by the problems we are having with our traffic management.
Jojo Smiley
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: pierre_pierre
for those who seem to be able to get here and moan but cant get the service status, here it is
View My Usage / Traffic Management system (64987)- UPDATE
Broadband
Posted on: Monday 20 December 2010, 11:23
This is an update to this morning's post about the problems we've been experiencing with our traffic management platform.
At approximately 9pm last night one of our databases suffered a disk failure which has caused a number of problems that may be affecting customers.
* Broadband usage for the last 12 hours or so may not be showing when checking the usage reporting tool available on our website.
* Our traffic management platforms are 'frozen' at 9.00pm last night. Any traffic management restrictions that were applied to your account at this time of the evening will still be in place now.
* If you've disconnected/reconnected between 9.00pm last night and now then you will have been assigned a 'default traffic management profile' from 9.00pm last night. This profile heavily restricts time sensitive activities such as Peer-to-Peer filesharing and Binary Usenet. It may also affect the use of some high-definition streaming services and download sites/servers.
* If your traffic is restricted due to exceeding your monthly allowance, and you are due to be billed today, then the restrictions are unlikely to be removed until the underlying cause of the problem is resolved.
* If your account has entered failed billing then you may be having difficulty making a payment and lifting the billing restrictions.
Only if you're in failed billing should you try disconnecting and reconnecting if you're having difficulty getting online after making a late payment.
In all other circumstances we recommend that you *avoid disconnecting/reconnecting* as you're likely to make the situation worse if you do.
We would like to apologise for the inconvenience and will post another update this afternoon.
Kind regards,
Bob Pullen
Customer Support
Return to Index

pierre_pierre before you start using unhelpful words as "moan" and If I have understood the situation correctly I would suggest you read the thread fully and then hopefully you would understand that statement you so helpfully posted does not relate directly to the majority of the posts. These "moans" are justified!
DM.
KABOOM!
fatdeeman
Grafter

I'm finding a lot of sites slow such as ebay and facebook and youtube (no change there!)
I'm glad to see they problem is being dealt with though  Cool
KaotiK
Grafter

Getting this now to as i just got disconnected for the first time :@ great.
adele
Grafter

Quote from: dirtymonkey
pierre_pierre before you start using unhelpful words as "moan" and If I have understood the situation correctly I would suggest you read the thread fully and then hopefully you would understand that statement you so helpfully posted does not relate to the majority of the posts. These "moans" are justified!
DM.

My "moan" is justified as none of those things relate to me yet I cannot get any explanation as to why we're affected.  Latest update states "We have engineers en route to the affected data centre in London"  Why has it taken so long?
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: Joanne
HI DM,
We're not penalising anyone, that would infer we were restricting customers purposely. These issues are caused by the problems we are having with our traffic management.
Jojo Smiley

Jojo with the greatest respect perhaps penalising was the wrong choice of word however it does not change the net result does it. The traffic management profile which is currently in place is unfair when it is applied even during the correct period. Therefore as I original stated I would suggest when the profile is in place you are restricting customers purposely.
DM.
KABOOM!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Whether moaning is justified or not, when it is a known problem and Plusnet have posted a service status announcement on this page: http://status.plus.net, and this, and on the RSS status feed http://usertools.plus.net/status/status.xml and emailed everyone who has signed up to Service Status Email Updates here and there are multiple threads started all which have been pointed to the same information, I'm not sure what additional moans achieve?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

[quote=DM]The traffic management profile which is currently in place is unfair when it is applied even during the correct period
I think this would probably be a debate for another occasion, TBH
Jojo Smiley