cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management slowing normal downloads down - can't be anything else

juzzyp
Dabbler

Traffic Management slowing normal downloads down - can't be anything else

This is strange and has only happened recently so they must deem me a heavy user, and are throttling me heavily.
I regularly download programs on demand for my Sky Box and I was trying to download Windows 10, it runs fast for about the first 35% to 37% then grinds to a halt, all speed tests indicate the connection is fine and all is well with the router, plus browsing is fine during a download, hmmm so that Traffic Management mustn't like me.
Connect my mobile phone broadband in and it fly's and the download works well but I've got a limited amount of data I can use.
According to your Traffic Management guide you class download sites (like a Windows 10 update or TV on demand I presume) as Gold Plated.
I'd just like to clarify that this is a pattern I'm seeing whenever I do downloads (these are not P2P torrents) unless you class Sky and Microsoft as Bronze sites.
9 REPLIES 9
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Traffic Management slowing normal downloads down - can't be anything else

Very strange indeed. I think the traffic classification might be download servers, download sites is more for websites like what rapidshare.com used to be. However I'm not sure that traffic management is the problem. Plusnet don't care how much you download, they don't identify heavy users last time I checked.
What router do you have? Does using your mobile phone broadband bypass the router, and connects your computer to your phone to the Internet? I was wondering if your router might have some kind of problem with downloads involving files over a certain size. I was reading about the BT Business Hubs yesterday, apparently certain firmware versions for them had problems downloading files over a certain size.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let me just start by saying that we don't throttle or rate limit connections on our current products.
Can you let me know which days you were having problems with your connection on? I've checked the last few days and there's been minimal usage, so I'm not sure what could be causing the issue.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: juzzyp
According to your Traffic Management guide you class download sites (like a Windows 10 update or TV on demand I presume) as Gold Plated.

Where did you see that?  It's incorrect and out of date.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
ejs
Aspiring Hero

This page gives the prioritisation levels, including for "download sites" and "download servers", although it doesn't say what would be classed as a download site or download server.
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Grr.  I'll flag.  The stuff in Gold plated is now either in Gold or Silver.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
alcyone7

So clearly, traffic is managed - despite the assertion otherwise.
juzzyp
Dabbler

That would figure, if TV on Demand downloads (not torrents but Sky Store and On Demands) and Windows 10 Updates for example are downgraded to silver/gold, you're going to throttle (or traffic manage) them pretty hard, I'll have to leave it downloading overnight, thanks for the honesty about the fact that plus net are using traffic management on my mine and other members connections -- Kelly and PlusNet team, I'll adjust my habits.
Nice catch on the webpage errors ejs.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Perhaps read: https://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
You should still be able to use your full line speed for traffic given a lower priority.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Quote from: alcyone7
So clearly, traffic is managed - despite the assertion otherwise.

Yes, traffic is managed. It isn't throttled or rate limited though, so as long as the remote location you're downloading from isn't causing slowdowns and your own connection aren't being used for higher priority traffic then your downloads should happen at line speed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.