Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management issues ?

rolya
Grafter

Traffic Management issues ?

Hi,
I moved from Sky back in February to PlusNet unlimited broadband
I have an ADSL speed that delivers typically between 12mb & 15mb, which I have been very happy with.
Since moving from Sky (no traffic management) to Plusnet (with traffic management) I now get the following issues
1) Lots of voice quality issues with my Vodafone Sure Signal (VOIP)
2) buffering when downloading an HD film on iTunes,
3) slow access to web pages during busy times
4) hanging web pages, to the point that sometimes I have to press RELOAD/REFRESH to force the web page to try again
I feel like I am in the dark ages again, when all that has changed is the subscription from Sky to PlusNet.  Undecided
I am now at a point where i am likely to just want to put Fibre in to get rid of these issues, but am not willing to lose my introductory deal or be charged with admin costs for changing. I simply just want a service that works for me, which it seems with Traffic Management even on a high ADSL bandwidth line I am simply unable to do.
Please advise on next steps ? I did try calling but didn't want to wait the excessive times currently being quoted.
Cheers
12 REPLIES 12
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Traffic Management issues ?

Hi rolya,
I'm really sorry for the problems that you've been experiencing. you shouldn't be experiencing any issues with our Traffic Management Platform - it's there to ensure you're getting good service, so I'm sorry that you're not 😕
First of all, I've placed an order to have your upload speeds uncapped as this will help with the Vodafone Sure Signal box and should hopefully improve the VoIP quality.
You mention buffering when downloading films via iTunes; are you downloading them or streaming them through iTunes?
Slow access; are you able to complete a tracert to the website you're trying to access and provide the results on this thread once you've done it?
rolya
Grafter

Hi there - thanks for the adjust on the upload - will monitor
I am streaming music through Apple TV, just never had an issue before, line was always fast enough to never have a buffering issue. A little annoying to keep interrupting the film waiting for it to "catch up"
Website latency is varied and random, eg moonpig, bbc or crash.net  - don't see trace will benefit as difficult to trap as not repeatable
Cheers
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi rolya,
No worries, let us know how you get on. If there are still any issues, let us know and we'll do all we can to help.
rolya
Grafter

Hi Chris - nothing but frustration tonight, videos not loading on FB, slow access to huffington post, YouTube videos consistently buffering. Really not the experience I was expecting
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you get the same issues on other devices as well?
picbits
Rising Star

Are you using a wired connection or wireless ?
My wireless streaming can be a pain in the rear but on the wired connections I have it works flawlessly.
rolya
Grafter

Wireless
Mac and ipad
Undecided
LinnPlusnet
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you able to connect via a wired connection and see if this makes a difference at all?
picbits
Rising Star

As above.
If it helps or sorts the streaming issues out, try setting the router to a different channel - I got around 4Mb/s from my 60+ connection until I swapped channels over.
Still not perfect as I live in an area with lots of other wireless congestion but it helped considerably.
rolya
Grafter

Can't connect ipad to wired.
Never had the issues with the old g class sky modem. Just can't work out why am having issues since switching to plusnet
If I do a speedtest all is good (13-15mb), latency very low, but just get buffering and slow responses, particularly evenings
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Does this happen on a particular gateway?
http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
rolya
Grafter

You are currently connected to gateway ptn-ag04.
This is located in Telehouse North.
I have also disabled my apple extreme in case this was causing any kind of channel congestion to see if helps (based on above suggestion)