Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracert's to ntp.plus.net

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Tracert's to ntp.plus.net

The extra hop isn't going to be causing any issues with DNS resolution. In fact I doubt it's causing any visible problems at all. It's not the behaviour I would expect though so because the question has been asked I'm going to try and find out why it's happening.
Similarly ping tests don't really tell us much. Presuming you're using windows then you'll be sending ICMP packets. DNS uses UDP.
Also, the TTL of your ping tests is something completely different to the TTL @npr was referring to earlier.
Quote from: Bob
I noticed that Plusnet's DNS servers now don't respond to type ANY queries, e.g. "dig @212.159.6.9 plus.net ANY", but I can't remember if that was always the case or not.

I'm not sure whether or not they ever have but I'll agree it's odd. I'll query the situation with our engineers. If I had to force a guess I'd say it was intended as a security measure. I'll let you know what I manage to find out.

My guess was correct. It's been implemented fairly recently and was in response to some suspect network activity we noticed recently. It's unlikely to be a permanent measure, however for the time being it's the simplest way for us to deal with the situation whilst it's looked into. It shouldn't cause any (no pun intended) problems so do shout up if you've reason to believe otherwise.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Tracert's to ntp.plus.net

Whilst I take your point about ICMP & UDP Bob, there is a definite pattern, and there is now some more interesting information appearing. Have a read of the ping thread.