cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections fail

FIXED
combitz
Dabbler

Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections fail

I am unable to obtain a RDP or VPN connection to work from my plusnet home network.

I have opened ports on my router and firewall but I don't believe that this is the issue because if I try to trace the route to any of the locations I'm attempting to remote to the trace get lost in your network.

I have iis running with sites and these are externally accessible so this is just related to packet or protocol routing I suspect   

Is there something that plus net are restricting on the network? I don't believe it is a dns update required as the domains hosted on the locations resolve okay whilst browsing but when I try to connect to the VPN or RDP to a server packets go out on the WAN and then fail to leave the plusnet network.

A command prompt tracert to 213.190.160.139 which is one of the IP addresses I should be able to remote to is attached

I restarted my router between the requests to see if there was an issue with my connection, I have also tried to request remote assistance from my support company using a sonicwall vpn but they can see my request but the connection fails to complete the handshake so times out, I suspect the two issues are related.

I have looked at this related post but there is not a solution in this that requires action.
https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Packetloss-in-trace-route/m-p/1387107#M50834

Appreciate any assistance, also why can't we raise a support ticket now from the members area?

27 REPLIES 27
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections...

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems connecting through your work's VPN.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure what to make of this as from what I can see our tests are coming back fine so I've reached out to our products team for advice.

I'll post back when I receive a response. Apologies for the inconvenience caused.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections...

This doesn't look to be strictly a VPN issue, as you've provided evidence of an ICMP trace failing as well.

By comparison, I can trace to the same host perfectly fine from another external Plusnet line, although the destination doesn't look to be responding to pings:

1     2 ms     6 ms     2 ms  home.gateway [192.168.1.254]
  2    17 ms    16 ms    12 ms  410.xe-2-2-0.central10.psb-bng04.plus.net [84.93.253.120]
  3    16 ms    13 ms    13 ms  411.be8.psb-ir02.plus.net [84.93.253.127]
  4    16 ms    13 ms    13 ms  195.99.125.142
  5    15 ms    17 ms    15 ms  core4-hu0-8-0-0.faraday.ukcore.bt.net [195.99.127.52]
  6    14 ms    14 ms    16 ms  213.137.183.98
  7    14 ms    14 ms    13 ms  82.112.115.185
  8    14 ms    14 ms     *     ae-0.r24.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.140]
  9    16 ms    22 ms    16 ms  ae-1.r25.londen12.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.27]
 10    16 ms    19 ms    16 ms  ae-2.r02.londen01.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.1]
 11    15 ms    15 ms    15 ms  ae-0.a01.londen01.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.145]
 12    16 ms    20 ms    16 ms  62.73.179.158
 13    23 ms    23 ms     *     te3-1.core01.techcentre-dc1.oosha.net [89.255.138.9]
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

To help diagnose further, what would you say to us swapping you over to a dynamic IP?

I can't be sure I'd be able to get your current static IP back afterwards, but if I can't, I can definitely assign you another.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

combitz
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

Yes I'm happy to lose the static IP for a period whilst testing/debugging as long as I can get another once solution is found. Updating dns is not a problem for me.

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards

Stuart.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks Stuart, that's been done now. Your connection will have dropped briefly about 5 mins ago. Do things look any better?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

combitz
Dabbler

Thanks Bob,

I've had to come into the office so I'll be unable to check until later today. I'll update you either way as soon as I get chance to test.

Appreciate the speedy help.

Stuart.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@bobpullen would it help for me to do a trace route from my static IP connection ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@MisterW, I'd only be interested really if it fails like the OP's?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@bobpullen No, it doesn't fail.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

combitz
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

Unfortunately not the solution.

It almost like my router does not know where the dns is now?

Trace attached:

I've flushed local dns not that that would have anything to do with router.

From the trace it would appear nothing is getting out at all as I've tried another access location and bbc.

Http traffic is fine and speed is okay, a little on the slower side but that's most likely the Friday night effect.

Are there any tools you would like me to run that may help debug? 

Thanks

Stuart.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Ok, might be something closer to home then.
What router are you using?
Can you run an nslookup against a few of the addresses you're having problems with like this?:
nslookup bbc.co.uk
And then a few where you're specifying the DNS resolver like this:
nslookup bbc.co.uk 212.159.6.10
Finally, reboot the router and repeat the tests.
Tip: you can copy and paste from the command line by right-clicking, choosing 'select', highlighting the text to copy, and then right-clicking the selection. That will copy it to your clipboard where you can then paste it into a forum reply (preferably in a code block i.e. the '<>' button).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

combitz
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

The router is a SagemCom plusnet hub one.

I've attached nslookups pre and post hub power down and up.

I'm not really sure how I find the resolver IP for remote.connect-direct.co.uk? I've included an nslookup as in your example and an attempt without a resolver IP if this helps.

Happy to provide anything else if required.

Thanks

Stuart.  

combitz
Dabbler

Getting zero WhatsApp messaging now and unable to use postman software as traffic not returning. Something is seriously wrong and suspecting router?

How can I get this resolved as I'm now at the point where I may as well not have internet almost?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Is this only happening when you have the VPN fired up?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

combitz
Dabbler

No it is permanent.