cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Totally confused about new products

Claremac
Grafter

Totally confused about new products

I rarely visit here as my connection is very solid and I have been very happy with it. But today I thought I'd have a look to see what the latest products are and now I almost wish I hadn't! I tried reading the sticky at the top of the page but I'm still not sure where I stand. I am currently on Broadband Pay As You Go with 4Gb included. Most months I use 3+ GB and the occasional month I go over 4Gb and get charged the extra. This is due to increasing usage of YouTube and iPlayer. I have been with Plusnet since 2001 and am on a monthly contract. I am paying £16.13 per month.
Looking at the Value option, I would get 10Gb for £11.99 (am in Area 2 according to BT) which seems a much better deal than I currently have. Would it cost me anything to switch? Also, as I understand it, I would have to sign up for 18 months which I am a bit nervous about. Although I have been very happy with Plusnet, I am in rented accommodation waiting to buy a house and am worried about signing a long-term contract when I am not sure what I will be doing/where I will be living over the next year.
Then I looked at Unlimited Broadband as I am thinking about online backup and this could be useful. Then I came across something called Broadband Pro and now I can't find where I saw this. As you can tell, I am pretty confused. To sum up, I feel as if I am paying more money than  I need to for an inferior product and would appreciate some guidance as to whether it is worth my while to switch products. If anyone understands my incoherent babble I would be grateful for any help.
Clare
7 REPLIES 7
scootie
Grafter

Re: Totally confused about new products

I can clear a couple a things up for you.
1 existing customers have the option when changing to the value or unlimited to opt for a 12 month contract but you don't get the free router and no free house move is included.
2 broadband pro is pretty much the same as as the old bbyw pro package. iam sure there is a slight difference but cant remember what it is.
on pro there is no throttling
use this site to do a side by side compare of the traffic management on the different products  http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm
James
Grafter

Hi Clare,
If your usage is mainly iPlayer and YouTube, you should be absolutely fine on the Value product.  As an existing customer, you can sign up to it on a 12 month contract.
If you did find that you were going to be using more than the 10GB allowance, you can easily upgrade to Unlimited at a later date.
Claremac
Grafter

Thanks to you both. The Value does seem to me better "value" than my current product. I am concerned about the amount of usage if I do go for online backup but am I right in thinking that I could use the free overnight usage for the initial bulk of the uploads?
James
Grafter

Yes, absolutely.
scootie
Grafter

i think youre better of going on value.
as i think if you then change from value to unlimited your contract length dosent change.
but i belive iam right in thinking that if you went for unlimited and then found your usage would be fine on value and downgraded from unlimited to value that starts a new contract period off
Claremac
Grafter

Yep, does look as if Value will be the best bet. I take it that there is no way of avoiding signing up to a 12-month contract? After 8 years with PN it's not as if I'm rushing to leave  Grin but, with the house situation I am a bit reluctant to commit to anything at the moment (probably still be in the rented house still this time next year now as there's so little on the market to buy  >:()
scootie
Grafter

nope affarid its 12 or 18 months for existing customers.
The loyal plus nutters had to kick up a 1160 reply thread to get the 12 month contract