cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total BB failure

Mardler
Rising Star

Total BB failure

BB d/l has fallen from c.16mbps to 0.43 - what is going on?!

7 REPLIES 7
Mardler
Rising Star

Re: Total BB failure

Now 0.06!

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Is your phone working?
Mardler
Rising Star

Yes and modem is sync'd at c.19mbps.

D/l is c.0.01mbps but a test 2 mins ago gave 14mbps but now near dead.

Tried another modem - same result.

Mardler
Rising Star

PN:please treat this as an urgent fault notification.

I have used a backup modem with a similar result.

BB is currently delivering less than dialup!!!

Note that modern syncs at c.19mbps but download speed tests (Ookla) give 0,00 to 0,16!

PLEASE TREAT AS URGENT 

PS Neighbours lost phone lines 3days ago and OpenReach have been working. 

Mardler
Rising Star

Download speed now near normal.

I would be interested to know what might be the cause of the problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

HI @Mardler,

If you have good sync speed but poor data throughput speed the following are likely culprits...

• A lot of line noise giving rise to high error and retransmission rates, but not bad enough to loos sync
  • If run over wifi, problems with the local wifi spectrum - some one else's use of a WiFi AP could be messing with your otherwise good set up
  • Something else on your PC was busy hammering the internet - Win10 (or other stuff) background update
  • BTw SVLAN over loaded
  • IP profile incorrectly set - to pick up any changes there, you would have needed to drop and restart the PPP session

I have already asked the question about this common theme - there seems to be a number of reports of users with good sync speed but poor data through put rates ... which have eluded diagnosis.

If you want to dig, I suggest you keep an ear on the phone line and regularly do QLTs.  Run a wifi analyser more than less of the time, such as inSSIDer (V3 is still available and free).  See if there are time profiles when data throughput speeds are slow.  Doing regular BTw speed tests (further diagnostics) will leave a breadcrumb trail with Plusnet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mardler
Rising Star

Thx, T.

1. No line noise, phone OK.

2. Ethernet connection from modem to PC.

3. Nothing else running on PC; it was rebooted to check.

4. No way for me to check SVLAN but it’s never happened before, my guess is a fault.

5. IP profile correctly set.

This fault is a new one. Since I installed a new modem/router the connection has been fairly stable with disconnects every few weeks or so.

QLT reveals nothing.

We had severe mains outages on Friday lasting hours during which there were trips in and out. However, once the power came back I checked the modem stats & speed and all was OK.

Neighbours had bad lines a few days ago (phones and BB down, slow BB) and the fault* was quickly fixed. Our line was fine until last night.

*To add insult to injury the reason was the company laying fibre from a town 4m north of us to a village 3m south of us cut a copper wire: the new fibre feed passes the end of our village street just 300 metres away yet we are told we will never get fibre!