cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toshiba Chromebook 2 is causing my connection to drop

bitorange

Toshiba Chromebook 2 is causing my connection to drop

Having no joy with PN chat online ("don't support Chrome OS") so thought I'd try this route.
I recently bought my wife a Toshiba Chromebook CB30-B-104 (CB). This works from the cloud so requires internet connection. Unfortunately, I have only been able to get a connection (via my Thomson TG585v8 router) if the CB is switched on from startup and no other devices are active (I have a Windows phone, a laptop and other PC in the house). Otherwise, as soon as the CB is active, the router crashes. When it recovers, the CB causes the same thing within seconds. Hence, the CB is pretty useless under the circumstances.
There's a fair bit of chat on the internet about chromebook connection issues, some suggesting that a dual-band router (802.11AC) would cure the problem. The CB has an AC wireless card apparently. Most of the chat is over my head technically.
My speed is only about 2 Mb/s here.
I've just bought a TP-Link Archer C2 AC750 wireless Gigaband router.
Has anyone any experience of such problems or can anyone offer any help?
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Toshiba Chromebook 2 is causing my connection to drop

Probably this fault with the 585 v8: https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92497.0.html
Updating the Thomson's firmware might fix it.
Getting another router will probably solve the problem, but unfortunately the TP-Link Archer C2 does not contain an ADSL modem, it's just a router, but you need a combined ADSL modem and router. You could switch off the Thomson's wireless, and use the Archer C2 as a wireless access point, but it may be simpler to return the Archer C2 and get something else that contains an ADSL modem. You probably don't really need dual-band 11ac wireless. Or just return the TP-Link if updating the Thomson firmware solves the problem.
bitorange

Thanks for the speedy response, ejs, and for pointing out my error with the router (£20 on eBay too tempting, given my state of anxiety about the CB connection problem?).
A couple of points to ponder:
1) The Chromebook seemed to find a stable connection when I used my neighbour's TalkTalk  (Huawei HG533) network.
2) I've subsequently ordered a Plusnet 2704n router.
Is the 2704n router likely to help?
Thanks again
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Yes, replacing the old 585v8 with the 2704N should solve the problem.