cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too Slow for YouView

Matt53
Dabbler

Too Slow for YouView

I was with TalkTalk/Tiscali for many years but recently I appear to have made a big mistake by migrating to Plusnet.
I have now had my broadband connected with Plusnet for 18 days and the speed I'm getting is ridiculously slow compared to TalkTalk.
With TalkTalk I got speeds between 1.8 & 2.1  but now I'm only getting around 1.2Mb/s if I'm lucky.
I have a YouView box and was able to use it to watch on demand TV such as 4OD and iplayer,  but not any more !
I have tried two other routers but the speeds are just the same, I've also removed the face-plate from the BT socket and plugged the router in directly, but still the same slow speed.
Please don't expect me to go through the same rigmarole that other poor sods with the same problem have had to on here.
I'm no engineer, I'm a simple customer who expects to get the service I'm paying for, ie. the same speeds that I got with TalkTalk.
Is it perhaps the case that BT/Plusnet equipment is not as good as TalkTalk's ?
Matt
42 REPLIES 42
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Too Slow for YouView

Quote from: Matt53
Is it perhaps the case that BT/Plusnet equipment is not as good as TalkTalk's
It is certainly the case that the equipment is different, it will also act differently (and in different timescales) to errors/interference.
As you have a long line interference is more likely to be a factor, but not necessarily so.
How different the equipment is depends on your exchange, which one are you on?
tony8436
Grafter

I wouldn't bother with the "award winning" customer support or tech support as my 5 year old is probably more capable than them. However, there are some people on this forum that might be able to help. I am having the exact same issue and have told Plusnet that I will be leaving without paying the fee as they have failed to deliver. I have also reported them to OfCom and the Advertising Standards Authority. Customer support will just get you jumping through hoops and constantly pass you to the wrong department, causing more stress but not fixing the problem. They will then blame BT Openreach's equipment and say that you will just have to live with it as it is outside their control. Funny how they didn't mention during the sales calls that swapping equipment from TT or Sky could cause a major drop in speed. "We'll do you proud", should read "we'll lie to get your money".
Matt53
Dabbler

Hi,
HPsauce,  I'm on the Aberaeron exchange.
Hi,
tony8436  ,I've read your thread and I totally agree with you. Every time I see the Plusnet advert now I feel insulted and some what conned. I just hope Plusnet can do something to get me back to the speed I'm use to so I can watch on demand TV again. (and without the numerous loss of signal that I forgot to mention in my last post).
Matt
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

HPsauce,  I'm on the Aberaeron exchange.
Hmm, that may be bad news.  Cry
According to Samknows you are one of the few exchanges on the "old" ADSL1 standard with BT and the ONLY alternative supplier is TalkTalk who will presumably have ADSL2+. See: https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SWAAI
Someone here may be able to confirm that and maybe even have information on when/if BT kit will be updated.
But if what I've found is correct then anything (including PlusNet) using BT equipment is likely to be slower than TalkTalk.
What speeds did PN quote beforehand? I can't imagine they would have promised to match TT though.
As for
Is it perhaps the case that BT/Plusnet equipment is not as good as TalkTalk's ?
the answer would appear to be yes.  Sad
Matt53
Dabbler

Hi again HPsauce and many thanks for the info.
As to what speed Plusnet quoted, I don't recall, I just assumed that a company that keeps proclaiming to "Do you proud" and "No compromise in service", would be the same OR EVEN BETTER THAN other ISP's, especially as Plusnet is owned by BT.
Matt
AndyH
Grafter

A small number of exchange only lines  on that exchange are due to get FTTP in September.
tony8436
Grafter

AndyH,
Please tell me where you keep finding this information because I can't find it on local coucil website, BT website, samknows or thinkbroadband. I would like to be able to keep an eye for myself on progress of any upgrades.
AndyH
Grafter

I have access to certain information not in the general public domain.
The OP can check his status here - http://www.superfast-cymru.com/where-and-when
Some people use this site for information (no idea how accurate it is) - https://www.telecom-tariffs.co.uk/codelook.htm
tony8436
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
I have access to certain information not in the general public domain.

How do you get this information, do you work for BT?
AndyH
Grafter

I don't work for BT, but I use some of their services.
tony8436
Grafter

Would love to be able to get that sort of information so I could see what is happening.
AndyH
Grafter

Your best source of information will be the local superfast team at the council. They are dealing with BT all the time so should be able to give you the best updates as to what's going on.
tony8436
Grafter

If only that were true. they are playing everything very close to their chest. I am more likely to win the national lottery jackpot without buying a ticket than getting anything from the council.
AndyH
Grafter

Maybe because they were in the procurement stage. Once the contract has been awarded, then they'll be free to discuss things.