cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeouts

bluejam
Grafter

Timeouts

My old problem of pages randomly not loading and other Internet services refusing to work seems to have just disappeared. Now today I've got a new problem, all of other services eg torrents, MSN etc are fine but web pages refuse to load, I just get timeouts on absolutely everything for up to 15 minutes a time. This is happening more or less all day with the timeout sessions lasting longer than the time when it works. From my last attempt to "fix" all this, I did..
1. Ran spyware/virus checks with a few different pieces of software
2. Disabled wireless and used the connection on a different and brand new computer
3. Fiddled with router and firewall settings for hours as per advice given to me on here and elsewhere
I realise these things can be complicated, but I'm having real trouble seeing how this is a problem at my end. Is anybody else having these timeouts?
5 REPLIES 5
puddy
Grafter

Re: Timeouts

in internet explorer go to tools internet options this well bring up the general page go to browsing history options then setting and make sure the  check for new version of stored web pages has a tick in for every time i Visit the web page
Hope this helps?
Michael
bluejam
Grafter

I'm using Firefox but that isn't the problem, I do hard refreshes always. Thanks anyway.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
Did you find the virus? I remember Carl checking your connection last week and it was showing a lot of outbound email traffic. If you take a look at View My Usage under Connection Settings, go to View Internet Activities and see whether the break down ties in with what you'd expect.
I'd also suggest trying this AV scan
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
and see if that picks anything up. Try it on each PC you've got just to be safe.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
bluejam
Grafter

I found a few minor things that had no immediate change on my connection once they were deleted. I've had a look at my usage and it more or less makes sense, but there's still no reason for that outbound email traffic. I'll run that scan, but as I said, I have already ran two virus checkers in full.
Can you see my point, though? My connection suddenly and inconsistently has been terrible for over three weeks now and even when connected to it using a brand new laptop I have the same trouble. I feel like I've done everything I can to eliminate the possibility of being a fault at my end, but is it possible that my troubles are the fault of Plusnet?
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

I can absolutely see the point, but I can be pretty certain that the problem is down to something sending out email from your connection. The increase in email uploads started around 3 weeks ago when first started seeing the problem. One problem with some viruses is that they will actually block the virus scanner from detecting them or from getting updates. When you were using the laptop was the other PC still switched on? The uploads from the first PC would still cause the slowdowns on the laptop. Also do you have a firewall on the laptop? If not then the first PC could have infected that as well in theory.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology