cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to shift ?

Dave_H

Time to shift ?

I'm on Metronet option 1 and I am trying to work out whether to shift to Plusnet basic. The usage ceiling on Metronet is 7.7Gb, which I appear to be hitting quite regularly now (works out at about 22pounds a month). Plusnet's basic package suggests I can get 10Gb usage for 5.99 per month.
Putting aside the fact that Metronet is owned by Plusnet (so why the great disparity in pricing ?)  the maths is simple but what's the downside ?
(Loss of my static IP appears to be one, but an upgrade from basic seems possible if this becomes a problem)
Anything else I am missing ? I appreciate there will be no more pay monthly by cheque and an 18 month contract.

I am also assuming that when Plusnet's line speed estimator says 1Mb max download speed that in fact I will still get my usual 1.5Mb (1.8 atm but when you are out in the sticks the extra fractions are appreciated).
Undecided
4 REPLIES 4
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: Time to shift ?

If you're thinking of moving to Plusnet Value then make sure you're aware of how that account is traffic managed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Note it's *from* £5.99pm. After the introductory period it's £11.99pm unless you are connected to a Market 3 exchange.
Existing Plusnet customers with fixed IP addresses can keep them if moving to Value. I'm not sure about the position of customers of other ISPs in the Plusnet family.
Existing Plusnet customers can have a 12-month contract provided they don't want a free router or free house move. I'm not sure about the position of customers of other ISPs in the Plusnet family.
Santiago
Grafter

You can check your exchange here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php to see if you are on market 3
Dave_H

Point taken about the traffic management and it looks like I am market 3.
Even so I think I'll be speaking to the Metronet (Plusnet)  people about a change to Plusnet(Plusnet)
My router works fine for me and I am not looking for an upgrade, so I might opt for a 12 month contract and see how it goes.
Thanks to everyone for the pointers.