cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to go to fibre

strider
Grafter

Time to go to fibre

OK, so my manager has been hinting that we may be able to spend a bit more money on the Broadband and I am occasionally having problems with my on-line gaming associated with bandwidth.
So I look at an upgrade to a fiber.  I am delighted to discover that I can get 40Mb for the cheap fibre option and only 51Mb for the more expensive one.  So the cheaper one looks better for value and it will x4 times faster than I currently get.  Win! Win!
Then I think about it.  Isn't the cheaper package "up to 38Mb"?
S
2 REPLIES 2
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Time to go to fibre

The cheaper package is up to 40Mbps sync speed (but also limited to 2Mbps upload if that's important to you), this translates to a reasonable maximum download throughput between 37Mbps and 38Mbps (so they sell it as 'up to 38Mbps), the more expensive one is up to 80Mbps sync speed (76Mbps throughput) id your line can support it and 20Mbps upstream sync speed.
If your speed estimate* is 51Mbps for the Fibre Extra then you should expect to get the full 40Mbps sync (37-38Mbps throughput) on the cheaper product.
*Estimated can be wrong and expected performance assumes no faults or other line issues.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
strider
Grafter

Re: Time to go to fibre

Thanks for the information @w23.
I was aware of the difference in the upload speed.  I also appreciate that 'estimates' are just an indication.  For my current connection they exstimate 5Mb but I get what is probably close to 8Mb.
Any way I'll be having another look in the new year as I think it is time to upgrade to fibre.
Thanks again.  S