Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time taken for Broadband Installation & Activation

FIXED
Dugspud

Time taken for Broadband Installation & Activation

Hi All,

I was wondering the average time taken for everyone's internet to become usable since the point at which they ordered & purchased the services. 

I've seen varying things from:

• Plusnet must wait at least 5 working days to have BT activate the line at the exchange
  • "Broadband orders typically take a week to complete"
  • And various members saying it took a week or so.

Considering the above, is 25-ish days from the date of order a "normal" time-frame to expect to start receiving the services? I placed my order on the 10th November, and have received notifications that the installation & activation date is nearly a month later, on the 6th December!

Most importantly:

Am I still having to pay my monthly fee for this entire month before I get any service?

or

Will I only start getting charged on the 6th December, after I actually have phone/internet?

Anything to help put my mind at rest would be appreciated Smiley

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Time taken for Broadband Installation & Activation

Fix

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.  The short answer to your question is "It depends...".  This is a long lead time, which makes me suspect that in changing to Plusnet you are also upgrading from ADSL to FTTC?  That installation requires engineering on your line, which is dependent upon the availability of installation engineers in YOUR LOCALITY.

There are some fairly firm timelines which should be considered to be minimum rather than typical...

• Telephone line migration - 10 working days mainly due to Ofcom's anti-slamming measures which allows time for the losing provider to advise their customer of an intent to take over the line and for the customer to block the take over
  • If for some reason a simultaneous provide (phone and internet at the same time) cannot be offered then broadband is a minimum of 5 working days after the phone service SUBJECT TO ENGINEER AVAILABILITY

...if something goes wrong with the order within BT's systems / databases then it could all take a lot longer.

Though you have paid up front, a month or so before the anticipated availability date, charging does not start for each service until they are operational.

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/terms/

5.3 We won't charge you for the period after you've signed-up but before you're service is up and running (but we may take payment for your first month's service when you sign up with us, in advance of your service being up and running).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dugspud

Thanks for replying Townman,

In regards to being FTTC you're spot on, though I would have thought the infrastructure might have been been in place already. I live in a small (4 floor) block of flats in a recent development (under 10 years old). I asked the residents next door and directly below- and they think they have BT Infinity. 

In any eventuality, I'll just wait patiently. Thank you for confirming that billing only begins once service has begun. Smiley

Cheers!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Switching to FTTC requires that your existing copper circuit (cabinet to home aka d-side) is re-routed through (via) the fibre cabinet: that is where the engineering touch is required.

The infrastructure is indeed in place, just not (yet) connected to YOUR phone line.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.