cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time limit wifi access for youngsters

michaelgarrett

Time limit wifi access for youngsters

Hi,
Anyone know if there is the ability within the settings to restrict times that a device can connect to the internet???
Many Thanks

Michael
6 REPLIES 6
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Time limit wifi access for youngsters

My Asus RT-N56U router allows me to do that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What I did was leave my existing wifi connections for me and my wife's laptops and phones.
I bought a cheap Netgear WNR834B wireless router on eBay for a couple of quid, that has time scheduling for the wireless connection, and all my kids wireless stuff now connects to that.  The kids now get disconnected at 19:00 and back on again at 07:00, while everything else in the house is available 24 hours on the original network.
This setup has other advantages, such as the kids router DHCP forces them to use filtered OpenDNS lookups (while the existing network remains unfiltered), and the router emails me if they try accessing blocked sites or are trying to access inappropriate content,   and emails me if they try using the internet (when scheduled disabled) during the night.
There are probably many better wireless routers available, but the one I chose solved my problem for less than £5 !
Wink
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

The plusnet supplied TG582n can do that but you need to use telnet commands:
http://npr.me.uk/accesscontrol.html
I believe the newer firmware 10.2.5.2 has the TOD feature in the GUI but that's something I've not checked out.
michaelgarrett

Quote from: purleigh
What I did was leave my existing wifi connections for me and my wife's laptops and phones.
I bought a cheap Netgear WNR834B wireless router on eBay for a couple of quid, that has time scheduling for the wireless connection, and all my kids wireless stuff now connects to that.  The kids now get disconnected at 19:00 and back on again at 07:00, while everything else in the house is available 24 hours on the original network.
This setup has other advantages, such as the kids router DHCP forces them to use filtered OpenDNS lookups (while the existing network remains unfiltered), and the router emails me if they try accessing blocked sites or are trying to access inappropriate content,   and emails me if they try using the internet (when scheduled disabled) during the night.
There are probably many better wireless routers available, but the one I chose solved my problem for less than £5 !
Wink

Without wishing to sound completely stupid how is that achieved or do you have two phone lines??  Undecided
mikehiow
Grafter

I suspect he's simply plugged the kids router into his existing router
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just one phone line, one ADSL modem/wireless-router, and one ethernet wireless-router.
The kids wireless-router WAN port is simply connected to a LAN port on the ADSL gateway.
The kids router has -
  WAN port address as a static IP onto the rest of the network (e.g. 192.168.1.123)
  The LAN ports are set to a different subnet (e.g. 192.168.13.xxx)
  DHCP is enabled to serve LAN addresses (e.g. 192.168.13.100 to 192.168.13.200)
  The DNS is set to either filtered OpenDNS or NortonDNS - to limit what the kids can access.
  The wireless SSID, channel, and password are all set to be different from the rest of the house wireless configurations.
  The schedule settings allow internet access to be blocked on chosen days and start and stop times.
  Keyword and domain blocking are set to prevent access to specific problem sites.
  email notification, sends me an email if ANY attempt is made to access anything that I have set as blocked.
There are loads of other tricks that could be done, like MAC filtering, rate limiting, etc, but I have not needed to enforce those yet.