cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket #53188667 - Connection less than half of sync speed

faulknerm88
Grafter

Re: Ticket #53188667 - Connection less than half of sync speed

It's a Business Option 3 account, so I'd expect heavy restrictions during the 'peak' evening hours on these protocols, but not during the daytime. Up until a few days ago, I was getting full speed during the day with no problems.
Multiple different OS's, same across all of them. The newsgroup client I was trying earlier for example is actually running on a Fedora box - a http download to the same box see's in the region of 15Mb speeds, an ftp/newsgroup see's less than 5Mb speeds.
faulknerm88
Grafter

Right, we're now into the peak period where I'd expect things to be restricted anyway, so not a lot I can do in terms of monitoring it now until midnight.
I'll post back then with what speeds I'm seeing for these protocols, however I did monitor them last night and the situation was the same - I was still seeing a greatly slower speed than for http.
faulknerm88
Grafter

Definitely something not right with the profile being applied to my line (if profile is the right word in this context, for speed restrictions/shaping).
According to the comparison tool over on the UG site, on Business Option 3 should have a limit on binary usenet traffic between 7pm and 10pm, restricting throughput to 128kbps.
Having just carried out a test now, I'm currently seeing 4448kbps for usenet traffic. exactly the same as I was seeing earlier.

Whilst it's nice in a way that my evening usage doesn't seem to be restricted as harshly as it should be, I'd much rather be correctly unlimited during the 19 hours of the day I should be and suffer the lower limits of an evening.

Hope this helps to shed some light on what's causing the issue.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi faulknerm88,
I've no idea at this moment what that could be, it's very odd. Your Traffic management profile is correct so you should see the rates change at different times of the day. I'll look into it further and see what we can come up with.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi again,
We just checked the traffic management switches and there's nothing that's restricting that traffic. Have a look at your usage last month, does that seem right? Could it be that the servers you are downloading from are restricting the limit?
Jojo Smiley
faulknerm88
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
That's the odd thing - if I connect to the servers from a different location (ie. I'm in work now) then I instantly get full throughput - so it's not a restriction that they're imposing. (I still log in using the same credentials)
Definitely not seeing a slowdown of that traffic during the restricted hours in the evening either, I get a fairly steady 4-5Mb/s all of the time.

I had a phone call from Ian earlier and he had asked me for a Wireshark which I'll try and sort tonight, although it seems that the traffic is being correctly identified therefore I'm not sure whether this will help you?

My (admittedly hugely excessive!) usage last month seems about right, and I can see that the traffic was identified correctly last month. Also last month I was seeing full speeds during the day as expected with restricted speeds of an evening.

Thanks for your efforts. Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm really not sure what else to suggest, as a wireshark won't help. I'll try to find more out but having had Dave look at the traffic management switches I'm not sure what else there is. I'll come back if I get any ideas.
Jojo Smiley
faulknerm88
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
I was just wondering whether you or any of the technical guru's have had any more thoughts on this at all?
Up to this morning (3am approx), I'm still seeing less than 5Mbps newsgroups during what should be the unrestricted times - and this speed does not change even during the hours when it should be limited.

Cheers,
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi faulknerm88,
I'm going to make a little tweak on your account and see how it goes over the next 24 hours.
Jojo Smiley
faulknerm88
Grafter

Thanks.
I'll be home about 7pm, so will test things then and again after midnight.
Cheers Smiley
faulknerm88
Grafter

Just to update, I'm still seeing a much higher speed currently (ie. during the 'restricted' period) than I should be.
I've attached an image showing the current throughput. I should currently be seeing 128kbps maximum I believe?

Will post again after midnight, when the restrictions should be lifted and I should see close to line speed for Bronze traffic.

Have also, just to completely rule out any other issue, used an entirely different usenet provider this evening.

Cheers,
faulknerm88
Grafter

I know that you didn't think it would help Jojo, however I've taken a Wireshark capture too.
http://www.filedropper.com/testcapture200312
I'm not sure whether I'm interpreting correctly, however it seems that the traffic is being identified as Gold currently? 0x80 Yet is still being limited to less than 5Mbps, however strictly speaking should be 128kbps right now?

Cheers,
faulknerm88
Grafter

Can confirm I was still seeing the same in terms of speed throughput when I left home this morning.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi faulknerm88,
It's very strange. I've popped a reply on your ticket.
Jojo Smiley
faulknerm88
Grafter

Hi Jojo,
Thanks for your reply. Apologies, I clicked the wrong button and closed the ticket in error!
Not sure what the next step is then? As currently I'm not receiving the correct speed throughput during the unrestricted hours, and being honest I'm not happy with this - particularly as it was fine until recently.
I know that nothing has changed at my end, and I've taken all the steps I can - swappping hardware, software, service providers etc.
I understand that you're saying the service is currently not as restricted as it could be during the restricted hours, however during the day it shouldn't be either - and it seems that it is. If anything, I'm now seeing a slower throughput on usenet traffic than I was before I switched to ADSL2+, and much slower than I was on a B2C product, despite now paying considerably more.