cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket 47138955 - Unusable Connection

thejudge
Rising Star

Ticket 47138955 - Unusable Connection

I raised this last Thursday. For a couple of weeks, I'd had trouble with my connection locking up or disconnecting during the evenings, with the SNR dropping to zero. I'm having to reboot my router (Netgear DG834v3) three or four times an evening to restore anything like a usable connection.
(It's not the router: I tried an ADSL modem and had the same problem with it. Worse problems, in fact, because it couldn't handle the SNR being so low and disconnected me every ninety seconds or so. I also tried plugging the router/modem straight into the master socket. No joy. Phone line is OK - not a hint of a crackle).
The problem is worse the higher the synch speed goes. Anything above 6.5MB is trouble, and anything above 7MB means a certain lock up within two hours.
After waiting for four days, the tech bods came back to me to say that the broadband was fine as far as they were concerned, although they were 'slightly concerned' about the copper wiring. I told them that the problem was ongoing, and they replied with something quite irrelevant about wireless connection (there's no wireless element to my set up).
I've now asked whether the issue they identified with the copper wiring would be the cause of the problem, but they haven't responded as yet. I don't want to call BT out unless I can be sure that that is, indeed, the root of the issue.
What's the opinion of youse knowledgeable types?
Also, as a supplementary, if push came to shove, would it be possible to put me back on my pre-ADSL2+ package? I'd far rather a 3.5MB connection which held like a rock for weeks than the unending frustrations of having a supposedly faster speed but which doesn't seem to be able to hold for more than a few hours at a time.
3 REPLIES 3
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Ticket 47138955 - Unusable Connection

You should be able to force ADSL1 mode in the router settings.
Also, you can get more detailed statistics if you enable the hidden "debug" telnet facility, but I doubt they will be much help. But you can get error counts, interleaving status, exchange equipment vendor code etc.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It might be worth calling BT and advising that you think there might be a wiring issue, and could they test? That way the ball's in their court and they won't send anyone out unless a fault is actually found. If there's nothing then we can attempt to push it onwards as an intermittent connection issue for you.
thejudge
Rising Star

+Net have now reported it to BT and an engineer is due on Monday morning.