Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thunderstorms + ADSL = ???

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Thunderstorms + ADSL = ???

Sheffield doesn't seem very prone to thunderstorms, which is just as well given that 7 or 8 years ago we had one which struck a DP pole on our road and it took BTOR 4 weeks to replace and reconnect (one house had to be completely rewired, I merely lost a phone, router and surge protector.)
Last night we had a massive storm, so this morning I nervously checked my router (not melted, good) and all 4 lights on (even better!)
Connection had not apparently dropped despite accumulating nearly a quarter of a million CRC errors, a million HEC errors, and 69 'losses of signal' during the storm.  Undecided
Routerstats would only show the Router Stats page however, and refused to plot anything else until the router was 'gracefully' rebooted.
Everything seems back to normal now, although there are more possible storms forecast over the next few days...
Feel free to add your own experiences and observations of the effects of storms on your connections.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Thunderstorms + ADSL = ???

bugs4me
Grafter

Storms seem to be a bit of a 'black art' where I live with my exposed pre-WW2 copper wiring. Fortunately we don't get many T-Storms but when one does come along either the connection just goes completely until the storm has passed or absolutely everything is fine.
All go figure time for me when one pops it's head up.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Also in Sheffield, my Billion router seems to have survived the onslaught very well.
I did think of disconnecting it but decided if one of those immense discharges hits my line, the router will be the least of my worries.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My advice after 2 dead PCs and routers in 7 years, the 2 times I did not get to unplug them as I was out, if you can unplug them do so.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

That's what I usually do, but wrongly thought the risk was over by bedtime, so only pulled out the Ethernet cable from the router so any strike didn't feed through to the PC that way.
Actual storm was at 0300, which didn't feel like the best time to be firing up the PC, disconnecting broadband, and pulling out phone and ADSL plugs!  Wink
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

I, too, forgot prudence and left everything on. This morning the router had retained sync speed, the only obvious change was up SNRM had dropped from 9 to 7dB, whilst down was pretty rock solid @ 3dB.
It's still chuntering away the same.
Calculated actual down ES/ SES
20:00 to 24:00...3470/ 1552
00:00 to 04:00...1668/  449
04:00 to  08:00...    28/    0   
Normal hourly evege over 9 days 3 hrs 38/ 8.
I reckon I was very lucky in the western New Forest.                                       
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.