cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttling me

tolmie35
Grafter

Throttling me

Im already on a very poor connection, 4mb and now it seems when im downloading stuff plusnet are throttling me, im at present getting 0.5mb download, honestly whats the point in that, it already takes me ages to download stuff and then you guys make it worse.
Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Throttling me

What package are you on, how are you downloading (Torrent or HTTP / FTP etc ?) and what does speedtest.net say while you're downloading ?
*Edit - also worth posting your router stats as well to see if it is a connection issue.
tolmie35
Grafter

Im download from Origin, it starts fine and then after a few hours my download plummets.
picbits
Rising Star

What package are you on ? Unlimited or one of the other older packages ?
When your speed drops, what does speedtest.net report as your download speed ?
picbits
Rising Star

It also appears you are not the only one having issues - it may not be Plusnet related :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1859788/slow-download-speed-bf4-origin.html
tolmie35
Grafter

Im on unlimited package, speedtest is not something I trust, that can be totally hit or miss depending on what server you want to ping.
tolmie35
Grafter

According to think broadband im getting 4.5mb download, its only origin thats affected, clearly being throttled, pretty annoying.
tolmie35
Grafter

It has now doubled me to 900K, woooft, still not my 4.5mb mind you., Back to 500kb argghhhhh
picbits
Rising Star

But lots of other people (non - Plusnet) are also complaining about the speed from the Origin server. If they only have a finite amount of bandwidth then you will only get that download speed.
There are reports of download speeds from 0.2-0.3Mb/s from some members at certain times.
By using the speedtest.net or similar while you're downloading slowly, you can see if you have a bandwidth issue on your connection (the Speedtest result will be low) or if it could be the Origin server at fault (Origin = Slow but Speedtest = Fast).
tolmie35
Grafter

Im now running a monitor on my line. I've seen this situation many times before where ISP blame 3rd parties and vice versa, nobody ever owns up.
tolmie35
Grafter

Just checked my monitor report and I have pretty bad latency.
picbits
Rising Star

I'm not saying it isn't a Plusnet issue by the way - it could well be but from the sheer number of complaints I've seen about the Origin download speeds after a quick search on their forums, it appears it may well be an EA issue rather than Plusnet.
Your latency will go up if you're uploading or downloading stuff but post the results here anyway and one of the other members who are a bit more clued up on figures may be able to shed more light on the problem.
*Edit - as for throttling by PN, they don't on the Unlimited packages. They do have traffic prioritisation which would mean if you were streaming video at the same time as downloading, the video would get priority bandwidth over the download but if you added the two bandwidth figures together, you'd still have your maximum 4.5Mb download speeds.
tolmie35
Grafter

Cannot even post the report, to slow and wont let me post it.
picbits
Rising Star

Are you running any other download software ? Often using Torrents will cause lots of incoming connections which can mess up download speeds. Also maxing out your upload speed dramatically increases latency and can cause really slow download speeds.
dragon2611
Grafter

Quote from: tolmie35
According to think broadband im getting 4.5mb download, its only origin thats affected, clearly being throttled, pretty annoying.

Problem is it may not be Plusnet causing the slow speed, it could quite easily be congestion somewhere else or even it wouldn't surprise me if EA didn't provide enough capacity to meet the demand placed on their servers.