Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thoughts from first few days

Wulfy
Grafter

Thoughts from first few days

Hi Plusnet,
Firstly 10/10 smooth sailing so far hit lucky and got a great BTOR engi (ex army so had a good ol chinwag and compared injuries)
Can get almost full speeds according to the profile.
Mad download speeds*
Responsive and helpful customer service staff helping me respond to my requests for rDNS and home phone number corrections.
Now the not so good:
Only one:  TG582n
I have 4 devices connected via wifi one hard wired in (desktop pc)
I'm 3-4ft away from the router with my laptop and best i'm getting is around 26-34mb connection and this decreases if i add the eldest lads ps3 to the network.
The result? Watching itv player or iplayer on the ps3 is like watching stop frame animation, nowtv.... forget about it same for network file services just to painful.
Yes i've downloaded around 60gb  in the last few days (game patchs and the likes lol) mostly via playing pass the parcel with a borrowed long cat5 cable.
Overall 8/10 would be 11/10 but the router just struggles to much to be really usable for what fibre is intended for i.e a busy home environment.
*via the shared cat5

Not a rant or a bash just my overall thought (while iplayer does its stop gap animation with emmerdale (blame the wife)
Best regards,
Chris
5 REPLIES 5
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Thoughts from first few days

Taking into account the overheads of wifi, plus the fact that it is a "half-duplex" system, gives a rule-of-thumb expected maximum of around half the connection speed. Adding more devices will reduce the rate for each device, as they share the throughput, so two devices have a max of around one quarter (equal sharing!). Additionally, mixed 11g/11n connections can cause speed problems with some devices. Your quoted rates are about right for 11g single connection.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Wulfy
Grafter

Mixed bag of n and g unfortunately, the side effect is the overall intention of the fibre install was to allow high speed access over all mediums even dlna internally is flakey. Its a shame that such a important thing (i.e the core of the setup) is so poor, i certainly wouldn't value it at £40
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Though the 582n isn't the best of devices, you may not see much improvement with a £100 router (unless you move to 5GHz). Have you checked what's around you regarding networks? InSSIDer may give you some useful information:
MS Windows, MAC App (purchase) and Android
Even the speeds you quote should allow iplayer to run (my 3.4Mb line won't handle full HD, but handles the iplayer "1500" version fine - wired connection!).
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Wulfy
Grafter

Yup i profiled the area (i have access to most the routers in range anyways) so it has its own channel, i have a spare dlink 615 sitting around what i may do is simply shunt g traffic onto that and keep the n devices on the technicolor  to try get max through put untill i can replace the thing withhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WDR3600-Wireless-Gigabit-Router/dp/B008QBAXI4/ref=sr_1_19?s=compu...( i think)
Regarding iplayer and itv player i may take a video off it asw a demo over the weekend to show the stop gap animation i mentioned previous
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: PeeGee
Adding more devices will reduce the rate for each device, as they share the throughput, so two devices have a max of around one quarter (equal sharing!).

Only when they're all trying to use the wifi simultaneously, obviously.
Some additional wifi features can also be enabled via telnet: http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#tweaks
You could also obtain useful information with wireshark (on Linux) or Microsoft Network Monitor (on Windows) capturing the wifi level traffic in monitor mode.