cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson585v8 won't connect by ethernet/TCP-IP port to my Printer

trevor41

Thomson585v8 won't connect by ethernet/TCP-IP port to my Printer

When I upgraded my contract recently PlusNet kindly supplied a shiny new Thomson router when I complained that my then current Buffalo router seemed to be coming to the end of its life.
Setting up the Thomson was very easy and my broadband connection is now stable and possibly even a little faster than before. - Then I tried to print something - and my printer just stayed silent.
  My printer is a BizHubC35 on the end of an ethernet cable and a TCP/IP port on my computer. It needs a static IP address (which I have just changed to 192.168.1.199 - to be within the Thomson IP range). It worked perfectly well with the Buffalo router (and with the NetGear router before). But on both the previous routers there were set-up configurations that allowed you to specify what static IP the printer would have. Supposedly the Thomson should scan the IP addresses and show a list of the devices attached, and what their IP addresses are currently. But it does not!
I can sucessfully ping the router and the printer - so I know the cables and connectors are O.K.
Have I missed something - or is the Thomson not up to my needs?
Do I have to get a bigger and better router again?
I would be grateful for any help with this - best wishes....Trevor Hamlyn
4 REPLIES 4
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Thomson585v8 won't connect by ethernet/TCP-IP port to my Printer

In Control Panel - Printers look under the properties of your printer and select the Ports tab.  If you are lucky this setting will allow you to change the IP address of your printer port to match the new one that you set.  If you are not so lucky you will have to uninstall and re-install the printer in order to set the changed IP address.     
trevor41

Dear ReedRichards,
Thank you for your reply. But changing the IP for the printer is not the problem.
I have already changed it from 192.168.11.99 (which the Buffalo router liked) to 192.168.1.199. This is between 192.168.1.64 the IP showing for my computer and 192.168.1.254 the IP showing for the Tomson router - so it should be OK. Why does the router not recognise the printer?
Best wishes...Trevor
snozboz
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

From my experience of changing routers and keeping a Brother HL-4050CDN, I had to reset the printer to factory settings, uninstall the printer driver, then turn the router and printer OFF.  Then turn them back on and set the printer's IP on the printer, and then install the printer driver from fresh.  I think something was remembering the old IP address, even though I'd changed it in the Port settings in the printer driver and the Printer settings.
trevor41

GOT IT!!.......Sorry ReedRichards - you were right
- I had not changed the IP on the TCP/IP port on the printer driver. 
Thank you very much.
Best wishes....Trevor