cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router

ftoomsh

Thomson router

Right I'm a new but old customer as it were. I've got 2 Plusnet accounts one back at the marital home and my new one just activated today at my new place.
So far I'm not impressed with the Thomson router, the UI is too simplistic and reminds me of the BT approach, however that is the least of my gripes.
My wireless connection keeps disconnecting. I've noticed it goes from 54Mb to 1Mb and then disconnects randomly. My Linksys which is what I expected to get is perfect.
I'd appreciate some feedback.
6 REPLIES 6
ftoomsh

Re: Thomson router

It's just done it twice in the last 2 minutes!!!
brueton
Grafter

Are you on the latest Firmware? I had problems with wireless disconnections on 7.4.4.7. Upgrading to the latest fixed this.
See http://community.plus.net/library/uncategorized/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-...
N.B. I think from other posts that 8.2.6.5 is the latest but I would have thought from the version numbers the latest would be 8.2.23.0.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
I would advise changing the wireless channel to something towards the top end (i.e 13) before upgrading the firmware to see if this helps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ftoomsh

I've checked the firmware and it is at the latest level.
Adam I also suspected it may be because of conflicting channels so used Netstumbler to find one not in use as there are number of other network SSID's floating around near me.
I still got disconnected last night at least once though even after choosing a new channel.
Are Plusnet only providing Thompson routers now? I'd prefer a Linksys as I'm not overly impressed with the Thompson and if I'd known I'd have probably gone out and got my own. Is there a possibilty of changing to a Linksys still?
Also can someone tell me if as it comes preconfigured does this mean someone at PlusNet is privy to my password or is a config file generated automatically? I'd be surprised if it were the latter as it would need to be created with the same password encryption algorithm used by the Thompson.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Also can someone tell me if as it comes preconfigured does this mean someone at PlusNet is privy to my password or is a config file generated automatically?

No, I think it uses TR-069 remote configuration to get your details from the PlusNet servers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ftoomsh

Thanks MisterW.