cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router working fine with Ethernet, but not Wireless?

fourteenautumns

Thomson router working fine with Ethernet, but not Wireless?

Hi, I'm having a few issues with my Thomson TG585 v8 that I received from Plusnet.
Basically, when connecting wirelessly, my router will every so often soft reset itself for no apparent reason. This can be because I'm trying to refresh a webpage, access a program such as Steam, or will randomly reset after 3 or 4 minutes for no reason at all.
It's important to note that when connecting via Ethernet, everything "seems" to be fine. The wireless connection has been tested on at least two computers, so it's not a problem on that end. I've tried resetting the router to factory settings and checked the router's wireless settings via my web browser, but no luck so far.
One final thing, when my router arrived before my broadband had been activated, my parents decided to set it up (on the off-chance it was working early; they are optimistic). I know you're not supposed to do this, but nowhere does it why or what do to do if you did set it up too early. When I connected my router on the correct day, I received none f the usual "broadband set up" page or "welcome" page in my web broswer. I had to login to the router and turn on internet connection that way.
It's impossible to break through the wall of automated answering machines, so posting here in desperate hopes of a speedy response.  Cry
thanks
9 REPLIES 9
fourteenautumns

Re: Thomson router working fine with Ethernet, but not Wireless?

I noticed a reply on a similar thread from Joanne saying that "Issues with windows users that have had this problem have been resolved by disabling the wireless n capability on the computer".
Is it worth trying this? Can someone give me a reliable way to do this? I am running Windows 7 btw.
fourteenautumns

Quick update. Wireless seems to be running fine on my parents' computer (running Vista), but I'm still having a few problems on my laptop. I've had no problems with using ethernet so far.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi fourteenautumns,
This is the workaround that worked for the others
Control Panel, Network & Internet, Network Connections, Intel Centrino, Properties ( not Wireless Properties ), Configure, Advanced, select property "802.11 N-mode", select value "Disabled", OK.
Hope that helps,
Jojo Smiley
fourteenautumns

Hi, thanks for the response.
Going from Control Panel -> Network & internet, I can't find the next step (Network Connections). I can't find anything about Intel Centrino except through the Windows Device Manager (under network adapter).
Here's a pic of where I'm at so far: http://i.imgur.com/KM1j1.png
May be something to do with PROset/Wireless tools? Or Intel My Wifi technology?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi sorry, think that's for XP, It will be Network and sharing centre>Manage wireless networks>adapter properties Smiley
DaveC99

I've had the same problem with an Intel Centrino wireless card. However its only a problem with the Thomson 585v8 router (I've used the same laptop on a number of other routers without any problems).
I know notthing about "802.11 N-mode" - but froma  quick google it seems to have been in existance since 2009 - and seems to me to be standard accross most routers now?
Are plusnet doing anything to allow this to be used?
basosergiou

I also had the same problem (see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,99780.0.html). I am using Linux though with a built in Intel WiFi Link 5300 card on my laptop.
The suggested fix of disabling the wireless-n mode seems to work, so far anyway. No word from Plusnet about a permanent fix of the router firmware.
Vas
fourteenautumns

Ok I tried this fix, and *so far* things are looking good. Thanks for the help!
vetterlein
Grafter

Can we get some model numbers for the 'laptops' which are causing this?  I suspect it's down to the chipset
in the WiFi.
FYI . I get this with a Lenovo W520 (thinkpad)
So WifFi is ---> Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6205