cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router rebooting when my laptop connects via wifi.

lucillerobin

Re: Thomson router rebooting when my laptop connects via wifi.

Adam (or whoever else is on duty today): the wireless mode is set to b/g already as far as I can tell, so can we start looking at the other options you laid out, please?
lucillerobin

Adam, or whoever is on duty today: what's the next step in investigating this problem?
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

I am so glad to find this thread. I have just bought a new Dell Inspiron 17R and cannot get wireless access via my Thomson 585 v8 router. Just as in the OP the laptop connects for a few seconds wirelessly then the router reboots itself, although an ethernet connection works fine. I've changed the power management settings, and tweaked whatever else I could find, including upgrading the router firmware to 8.2.7.8 as per another thread somewhere on here, but nothing's working. I have very little faith in Dell tech support being any use, come on you plusnet people, I have faith in YOU!  Cheesy
Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi
Try reading this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,97865.0.html it seems to have some interesting information.
Derek
Stumpy21
Rising Star

@WestEndGirl
If you do a web search there are references to the "wireless wizard" for the Dell Inspiron 17R and wireless problems.
Which of the wireless Wi-Fi options available did you go for?
There are also driver updates available for this model.
Derek
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Thanks Derek.
I've posted on that thread, it didn't help me as the Microsoft link was a different issue to what I'm getting.
I've gone on the drivers update page via Dell and on the device manager, and both say the drivers are up to date, even though the numbers are different.
Do you mean the built in wireless troubleshooter re. wireless wizard? I'll try running it now.
What do you mean which wireless wifi options did I go for? The router's on 802.11 b/g/n, 2.4ghz, automatic channel selection, and WPA-PSK encryption.
Cheers.
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Out of interest, should I have opened a ticket with Plusnet to bring this to their attention? There were some in-house replies further up the thread, but nothing now? Huh
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Quote from: WestEndGirl

What do you mean which wireless wifi options did I go for?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear.
There are several makes and model of wireless cards that can be fitted to your laptop, listed on the Dell website.
Do you know which one you have?
Wireless
    Wi-Fi Options:
    Standard Dell Wireless 1501 802.11 g/n or
    Dell Wireless 1397 802.11g or
    Dell Wireless 1520 802.11a/g/n or
    Opt. Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6200 802.11 a/g/n
    Opt. Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250 802.11 a/g/n
Derek
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Oh sorry! Its a scratch and dent model so no choice - it's an Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030.
Stumpy21
Rising Star

it's an Intel Centrino Wireless N 1030.

Not an ideal solution but it may get you going. Try disabling the laptop wireless 'N' function.  Huh
If you are using Windows 7 try the following.
Control Panel - Network & Internet - Network Connections (may be Network and Sharing Center - Change Adaptor settings) - right click Wireless Network Connection with  Intel Centrino - Properties ( not Wireless Properties ) - Configure - Advanced - then select property  "802.11 N-mode" select value "Disabled" then OK.  Undecided
Derek
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

Wow thanks, that seems to work!
I presume that makes the connection a lot slower though. I was wondering about the b/g/n options, (among many other things!) but from the point of view of changing the router settings, which would obviously have impacted on my working laptop, PS3 etc etc, so that was even less ideal.
Soooo..assuming that continues to work, then whose "fault" is it? Dell for supplying the Centrino wireless adapter, or Thomson/Plusnet for not having a more robust router? Or indeed me for putting them both together a la Cilla Black...?
Thanks so much anyhow!  Cheesy
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I presume that makes the connection a lot slower though.

Possibly not since 'n' support on the TG585v8 is only at 65Mbps, compared with 'g' at 54Mbps.
In fact it's possible that changing the router to 802.11b/g (or 802.11g) but leaving the Dell as it was might have worked. Do your other devices actually make use of 'n'?
David
WestEndGirl
Dabbler

I have to be honest, I have no idea! They work, that's all I know, and I hate to pither unnecessarily as I work from home an internet is crucial. The Dell streamed radio and a music video last night with no problems, so maybe it's as good as it'll get...
Stumpy21
Rising Star

Quote from: spraxyt

In fact it's possible that changing the router to 802.11b/g (or 802.11g) but leaving the Dell as it was might have worked. Do your other devices actually make use of 'n'?

That has been tried and did not seem work. It would appear to be a driver problem.
It does not only affect the Thomson router, Netgear and Virgin hubs are having the same problems!
Derek
Stumpy21
Rising Star

I presume that makes the connection a lot slower though.

Unless your broadband connection is faster than 20 Mbps it shouldn't make much difference.
The N1030 card is a dual unit though, sharing resources with its Bluetooth function. If you are not using Bluetooth, on that laptop, it may speed up your connection if you disable the Bluetooth function.
Derek