Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router died

loklok
Grafter

Thomson router died

Hi guys,
Over the last week or so I've had the connection drop quite a bit, sometimes about 10 times an hour, some days it was only once. Today it has been worst and I have tried an alternative router I had and that holds connection just fine. After trying this other router I plugged in the Thomson again and it didnt even boot itself, in fact no light came on so it appears to have died.
Will you send me another one as a replacement or will I have to buy a new one?, as the temp one is itself old and not the latest standard.
Thanks
23 REPLIES 23
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Thomson router died

Depends how old it is! If it's more than 12 months, I hear that by Phoning Customer Options you can usually negotiate something for just P&P by agreeing to a new contract period. But one of the CRT should be able to confirm one way or the other.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

HI,
I'm afraid you'll need to call us for this. If it's out of warranty, we can sell you a new router or it maybe possible to give you one for free if we re-contract you. In either case, you'd need to pay for postage. You can call any time on 0800 432 0200. Right now there is less than a minutes wait on all queues.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
loklok
Grafter

Thanks Tony
I'm not sure what to think now. Are there any similar problems in my area as the line drops are getting very random?
The 'Faulty' router IS now working ok afaics so I think there must be some faults somewhere else. My wiring is ok as mentioned before so is it possible to check the line drops from pn side?
Below is the info from the router dsl page:
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:23:00
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 19,690
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 1.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 4.0 / 9.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 11.0 / 5.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 2,677 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1,208 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,591 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 74,197
CRC Errors (Up/Down): NA / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Thanks
loklok
Anotherone
Champion

Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls? Try the Quiet Line Test on 17070 option 2.
loklok
Grafter

Thanks
Did the test no noise on line at all afaics and normally phone calls have been clear, so nothing obvious there.
Thanks
Anotherone
Champion

I assume we are talking about a TG582n? There's a couple of things you could check on.
First what Firmware (Software version) is on this modem/router - see http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/info/?be=0&l0=1&l1=0 (login required) but don't post the serial number!
2nd, you mentioned in your OP that no light came on! Not even a power light? So it may be best to do the following checks off-line so as not to upset the DLM (Dynamic Line Management). On the Broadband Connection page click Disconnect to drop your PPP Internet session. Wait about a minute and then disconnect the line from the modem/router.
Now gently wiggle around the connections from the power supply to the back of the modem/router and check you don't have any intermittent connection. Turn off the power and plug the power connector in and out of the modem/router a few times to help clean any surface oxidation from the contacts.
Power up again and wait until it's booted. When fully booted reconnect the line. Login to the modem/router and check it reconnected a PPP Internet session, if not, click Connect.
Post the new stats.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I know this is off the wall... but check that (somehow) turn off LEDs has not been enabled - see http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#led - needs telnet access, so may be something to look at later?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

loklok
Grafter

Thanks for all the advice guys.
After looking at the Thomson router again I noticed that there seemed to be a problem with the power in it, at times when just holding it in my hand there were occations when it died with no power getting through then it would restart. There appears to be some sort of loose connection inside which caused this problem.
After looking online I bought a TP-Link-TD-W8970 from Amazon UK. Installed and connected fine and the connection is faultless and much better than the Thomson.
So all is running smoothly.
Thanks
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm pleased you manage to diagnose the problem. Let us know if you have any problems in the future.
Tony
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

Except it's a TP-Link - can'r stand then things, hope your connection is OK though.
loklok
Grafter

UPDATE  Angry
It's happening again so I've raised a ticket to try and get this sorted once and for all.
NOT HAPPY could be a time to change providers.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

What's happening again?  Lights going out on the router or repeated synch drops?
Do you have an open fault report http://faults.plus.net ?
If there is a fault between your router and the exchange, unless you can move to Virgin, changing suppliers is not going to make a blind bit of difference, for they all use the same BTOR network.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

The fault report is in a queue with the faults team at the moment for you. It would be worth trying the known working router again though just to double check.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
loklok
Grafter

Hi I have already tried the Thomson again but results are the same. Have stable connection for a while then continious drops every few mins. Gave up last night after as I could do nothing that needed a connection to the 'net.
Thanks