cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson router connection drops

shelleysinclair
Dabbler

Thomson router connection drops

I have a Thomson router which plus net sent to me recently. My pc is connected to it by Ethernet cable and all works well.
However. when my laptop is connected to it wireless, it says the signal is strong and internet is enabled but it keeps dropping the connection.
The only way I can use the laptop is to connect it by Ethernet cable.
Is there something wrong with the router?
adie:green removed all caps title as per link:rules
17 REPLIES 17
kdoug007
Grafter

Re: Thomson router connection drops

hope  u get  it  resolved,, just to say i use  home plugs  and  connection is  really  good

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Can you tell us which Thomson router it is please?
If it's the TG585v8 then there can be an issue with the wireless with certain laptop adapters (I think some Intel ones are a particular problem), if this is the case then simply disabling the 'n' wi-fi mode in the router can solve this.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Routefinder
Grafter

Just a suggestion for improving wireless PC connections.
SWMBO's laptop (a Packard Bell) was always dropping the connection for no obvious reason.....................she was threatening to defenestrate it!  Well I updated the drivers for the onboard wireless card and since then has been AOK even in areas of the house where the signal is at the weakest Smiley
So just maybe the same may help you???
shelleysinclair
Dabbler

Quote from: walker23
Can you tell us which Thomson router it is please?
If it's the TG585v8 then there can be an issue with the wireless with certain laptop adapters (I think some Intel ones are a particular problem), if this is the case then simply disabling the 'n' wi-fi mode in the router can solve this.

it is the TG585v8 and my laptop is a HP Pavillion g series
How do you disable the "n" wi-fi mode in the router?
shelleysinclair
Dabbler

Quote from: Routefinder
Just a suggestion for improving wireless PC connections.
SWMBO's laptop (a Packard Bell) was always dropping the connection for no obvious reason.....................she was threatening to defenestrate it!  Well I updated the drivers for the onboard wireless card and since then has been AOK even in areas of the house where the signal is at the weakest Smiley
So just maybe the same may help you???

I am not very computer savvy but I tried to update the drivers for the wireless card but got a message saying the drivers had the latest update
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

shelleysinclair
Dabbler

Thanks but I cant get round the password for the router
I did not think I had changed anything
adie:Quote
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi, have a look here for the login and password for the router: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson-585-faqs-and-troubleshooting.shtml#userPass
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rhinocratic
Grafter

Hi, 
Don't do what I did and confuse a zero for the letter O. Oops. My serial number ends in COM. The O is a zero but I didn't realise until I'd failed to log in umpteen times.  Embarrassed
Hope you get it to work
shelleysinclair
Dabbler

Disabling the "n" wi-fi  has seemed to work and for my password it was as simple as being case sensitive.
Thank you very much for all your help
shelleysinclair
Dabbler

I spoke too soon
It always was an intermittent problem
I'm back connected by Ethernet cable
Cry
geoffclem

Hi.  Hope you dont mind me hijacking this thread but my problem is related.  I have a Del and HP laptop which work fine and never drop out.  However, my son's Air Book and wife's Ipad keep dropping the signal - especially on Skype or Facebook.  I have tried various channels with no luck.  Any suggestions as I am about to take delivery of an Air?? Undecided
shelleysinclair
Dabbler

I have taken my laptop to work which works perfectly.
It also works fine at the inlaws house
I have come to the conclusion that it is a router problem
Routefinder
Grafter

A good empirical test Smiley
Routers are not that expensive so subject to the contract I wonder if you can come to an arrangement with PN but if I were in your shoes I would simply go out and buy one ~ avoids hassle & grief!