Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson V8 firmware

ross1127
Grafter

Thomson V8 firmware

Please can someone help me out here
Have been trying to upgrade my thomson V8  firmware, but not having very much luck, downloaded both files to do this upgrade and connected my laptop to the router (#1 connection) with the ethernet cable, the router shows a green light & the laptop connection shows green, but when i look on the thomson gateway it only shows that the laptop is connected wireless.
running vista
20 REPLIES 20
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Thomson V8 firmware

Try turning wireless off on the laptop. There's probably a switch on the front/side that will do that.
David
ross1127
Grafter

My laptop is a acer aspire 7720g, found the button to disconnect, but does not connect with the ethernet cable
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yep, from pictures of the laptop it looks like the wireless switch is a slider in the centre of the front edge.
Has the laptop been completely restarted since the Ethernet cable was plugged in? Have you ever had the laptop connected to the router via Ethernet?
David
ross1127
Grafter

just restarted laptop with cable in still the same, this is the first time i have tried to use a cable, but back to my original post on firmware download can anyone help
kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

You will need to reconfigure your laptop to connect via ethernet (LAN) instead of wireless. That might involve setting up a new connection under Network Settings. I can't really help any more than that as I'm not a Windows user.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ross1127
this is the first time i have tried to use a cable

It is possible to set the properties of the Ethernet port on your laptop so that it would not establish a cable connection with the router, but under the default port settings it would work.  Have you never ever used a cable connection to your laptop before? 
ross1127
Grafter

never used a cable connection to the router allways used wireless connection, the only reason i need to use this connection is to update my firmware on the thomson v8 router
spraxyt
Resting Legend

According to the User Guide (and as I expect) the network connection should just "work" when the cable is plugged in. Do you have any firewalls or anti-virus installed that might be blocking access? On my Vista desktop which connects to the router using Ethernet a "new network detected" warning message pops up if I change the router connection. Did you get anything like that?
Sorry you might have posted about this in another thread but is the reason for updating the router's firmware due to intermittent problems with wireless connectivity? This post might help cure that.
David
ross1127
Grafter

I don't get any warning message when connecting with the ethernet cable, I'm running AVG/Zonealarm/Ad-Aware/Spybot-SD
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Well it will be Zonealarm that is giving problems if any of those are.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Yes, ZoneAlarm can cause problems. I use that (free version) on my XP laptop but had to add the network range (192.168.1.0-255) into its trusted zone for comms to work properly wired and wireless for me (network cards have different IP addresses).
On my Vista desktop I don't use ZoneAlarm, stuck with the Windows Vista firewall. This computer has only a wired connection to the router.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: ross1127
I'm running AVG/Zonealarm/Ad-Aware/Spybot-SD

That's exactly what I would have recommended six years ago but times change and things move on.  AVG has got big and bloated and the current version doesn't run well on older less-powerful computers.  ZoneAlarm, though it still has it's fervent supporters, isn't really necessary now we have a Windows firewall and routers with firewalls and it can get in the way now many people want home networks.  Adaware I dropped as it tried to move away from the free version.  Spbot-SD's technique of scanning for each bit of spyware one item at a time got overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the stuff making it very slow to complete a scan.  In any case, all the former antivirus programs now also scan for spyware too, so you no longer need separate anti-spyware programs.
Sorry, this is off topic, but it just struck me that it is high time Ross1127 reconsiders what security software is appropriate.
ross1127
Grafter

Thanks everyone, but still struggling with my first issue
machare
Rising Star

Have you switched off the wireless on the laptop?