Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson/Technicolor Error Reporting

sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Thomson/Technicolor Error Reporting

Hello,
Do Thomson/Technicolor routers report errors correctly, as I have seen many posts on the forum from people who have thousands of CRC and yet only a few error seconds. Surely that can't be right?
Has anybody else experienced similar?
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Thomson/Technicolor Error Reporting

See my reply http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105216.msg897156.html#msg897156
There are times when some of the reporting from different models and firmware versions are clearly an absolute joke, which shows they haven't taken sufficient care with the firmware recovering the stats. This doesn't necessarily directly relate to the modem/router performance where that part of the firmware may be ok.
However, that said, it does throw an element of doubt into whether the rest of the firmware is "bug free" and there are cases around this forum where some models/firmware versions don't appear to be behaving as they perhaps should be, especially on "awkward" lines. There again one can say that about other makes/models from time to time.
Overall, my impressions personally, is that these would not be my modem/router of choice.
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
Overall, my impressions personally, is that these would not be my modem/router of choice.

What would be your modem/router of choice?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

While I would agree with that comment in relation to the TG585 series I think that the latest model offered TG582n is much better which is why Zen among others are offering it for their Fibre products
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The TG582n may be better in some respects but my comments still stand.
@Gigabit
That is a much more difficult question to answer than the converse, especially as I haven't tested loads nor under different line conditions, especially on very long lines where things get somewhat more critical. There are various threads around this forum where people have, so try a search.
What I could say is that it would probably be one with a Broadcom chipset, have easy access to all the stats, ie including the errors - reported correctly, have the ability to monitor the bits/tone allocations and noise margins, and preferably the ability to tweak the Target SNRM or be tweaked by an external program such as DMT or RouterStats.
Anything that didn't report errors wouldn't get a look in. On the other hand if I lived over the exchange, it would probably be the cheapest box that gave me a reliable connection  Wink
As far as slightly older modem/routers go, you won't go far wrong with a DG834Gv4 or GT for ADSL(2+)