cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585v8 router can't wake up print server

grahamt
Rising Star

Thomson TG585v8 router can't wake up print server

Not quite sure where to put this. Mods - feel free to move it if appropriate. It's about my router but not really about broadband.
I have a laser printer connected to the router via a print server (Netgear PS110 if that's relevant - a bit old now) using a static IP address in the router's normal range (but outside the DHCP range). If I turn the print server and printer on, then print - all's well. But if I leave them on for more than a couple of minutes and try to print another document, then nothing happens until I start to get 'can't connect to print server' alerts at regular intervals.
If I then turn the print server off (and the printer, as they're on the same plugboard and the server doesn't have a separate on/off switch) and back on again, the document in the queue prints. So, it's not disastrous, but annoying, and even more so for my partner who might want to print from her laptop downstairs.
Turning just the printer off and on again has no effect. I'm convinced it's something to do with the router, as this never used to happen with my previous router (a ZyXEL). With the old router, as long as the print server and the printer were both switched on, they would wake up and the document would be printed, no matter how long the period of previous inactivity.
Does anyone have anything to suggest? I've checked my firewall settings, and they're OK - the print server's in the trusted zone. Am I missing something, or is this just a Thomson foible?
Graham
2 REPLIES 2
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thomson TG585v8 router can't wake up print server

Hi grahamt,
I'm not too sure but having looked around a bit I see a lot of instances where people have a TCP/IP idle timeout set on the print server/printer. Have you looked into that?
Jojo Smiley
MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Thomson TG585v8 router can't wake up print server

Are you able to successfully ping the printer server during one of these outages?
Mathew