cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585v7 and the Blackberry Playbook???

Routefinder
Grafter

Thomson TG585v7 and the Blackberry Playbook???

Hi All
Does anyone else use the Playbook?
I got one a present and cma across the following issues:-
1) It would only connect with the router if 'all new devices allowed' not that is fine but with all the other wireless devices I can then lockdown to 'no new devices allowed' but with the BBP it loses connection?
2) Internet connection  with the BBP ~ now I have adjusted my default gateway and this has been fine since day one but with the BBP even when making the settings manually it defaults to the 192.168.1.254 and therefore cannot connect to the Internet!
So how didyou get on with the BBP or it just incompatible with the TG585v7 using firmware 7.4.4.7?
TIA for any insight
Smiley
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Thomson TG585v7 and the Blackberry Playbook???

) It would only connect with the router if 'all new devices allowed' not that is fine but with all the other wireless devices I can then lockdown to 'no new devices allowed' but with the BBP it loses connection?

I think therein lies the problem, it doesn't work that way, think of it as starting from fresh when you set the router to  'no new devices allowed as any you've already connected will lose connection until you add the MAC address of the device to the router's access list for the firewall.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi Adam
Well firstly, I found I had to make a fully manual setup to allow the BBP to 'see' the Internet by making the Primary DNS address 212.159.6.9  now for the record I never had to make special settings for the wired desktop or the laprops on wireless, so the BBP does behave differently.
Now sorry if I misunderstand but having linked the laptops I left the "do not allow new devices" engaged but the BBP needs it to be "allow new devices automatically" to be set.  So another difference!
Now you mention the MAC filtering in the Firewall, well in the TG585v7 the Firewall filtering is not accessile unlike my old Netgear.  So unless you know a trick to allow manually adding the MAC address to the Firewall filtering to let the BBP behave better Wink What you describe is impossible.
I may have to use the Netgear again to gain more control of the devices & access???
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Routefinder
I may have to use the Netgear again to gain more control of the devices & access???

and that would be a bad thing because???  In my opinion a typical Netgear router is superior to the Thomson routers supplied by Plusnet.
I've had a Blackberry Playbook for about 40 hours and I use a Netgear router with WPA2 (but not with mac address filtering).  When setting it up it assured me that it was connected to the Internet but then stalled at the Licence Agreement page because the connection was not working.  I had to do a reset and start again - but since this initial hiccup it has worked okay. 
Routefinder
Grafter

I've had a Blackberry Playbook for about 40 hours and I use a Netgear router with WPA2 (but not with mac address filtering).   

Hi
Thanks for the insight, so the Netgear did not mess you around with needing to make the connection manually?  That is what annoyed me with the Thomson as the BBP has to date been the only device connecting wirelessly that I have to make such setup manually!!!  Even my humble Loox PDA was simply  Smiley
iainmacmillan
Grafter

I can confirm PB and Netgear work well, though not through MAC address filter, same with Bold handset.  Had more hassle getting the PB to link to new Cisco AP's @ work.
Routefinder
Grafter

Many thanks for the added insight  Smiley
Hmmmm! I do like the added layer that MAC filtering can give and yes I am aware that MAC's can be spoofed by those more canny than the likes of me.  But security for me is about layer the more you can (within reason) utilise the better.  So if based on both your experiences I would not be able to MAC filter and just(?) rely on the current robustness of the WPA PSK protocols.
I have the Netgear ready when I have the time to switch them over???
Routefinder
Grafter

Just by way of an update.
I setup the Netgear DG834Gv4 again and sorted it with the "Trusted Wireless devices" and then turned on the access control..........................initially it looked like the BBP would not play ball.  But for reason(s) I cannot fathom after a few minutes it was fine.  Though the email setup takes a powder intermittently, not finding the server.  This was happpening before the change???
But on another note, the sync speed upon connection is lower than I expected at 3067, I was sync'ed at 3567 on the Thomson though the Stable Rate was 3.1Mbps and measured speed was 2.9Mbps so not great in itself.  But I suppose I should have waited until midday to swap the router because in the past under 20CN that was best time..........................................foolishly I was thinking that under 21CN and ADSL2 the time of day would not have such an impact???  oh, well I will try again at midday tomorrow and see what effect that has???  Under the Thomson it reported DSL Type G.992.3 Annex A so my line is too long for ADSL2+ and settled on ADSL2, I have manually set that as the connection of choice in the Netgear