Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v8 changing routers DNS

stevewilk
Dabbler

Thomson TG585 v8 changing routers DNS

Hi
I have a Thomson T585 v8 firmware 8.2.7.8 running windows 7 the DNS setting seem incorrect and I want to change them I tried the command method ref previous thread for the v7 but this didn't work as the commands weren't recognised. Is there a way to change these on the v8?
New to posting hope this makes sense.
Steve Embarrassed
7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Thomson TG585 v8 changing routers DNS

Welcome to the forum stevewilk Smiley
Your post makes perfect sense to me Smiley unfortunately I don't use a 585 but I'm sure someone will along to assist soon Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

according to this http://community.plus.net/forum/?topic=91405 the commands do work
see reply 3 for an updated manual
or is that the thread you are referring to
If you follow this article where does it fall apart http://community.plus.net/library/dns/how-to-change-the-default-dns-servers-in-a-thomson-speedtouch-...
stevewilk
Dabbler

Didn't enable Telnet  Roll_eyes but now I've changed these it still shows a red cross against Connectivity to DNS Server 1 (8.8.8.8) and Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.159.13.49) does this matter and does adding this in IPv4 make a difference to the connection?
Thanks
Steve
dick:quote
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That seems to be a problem with that router - I have seen a few posts recently with that symptom.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,92451.0.html
I have no idea what the effect will be.
Of course I wouldn't have one of those routers even if it was free. Lips_are_sealed
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Despite showing red crosses against the DNS connectivity checks to the Plusnet DNS servers the router still provides DNS lookup as it is meant to. The problem might be that the Plusnet DNS servers don't respond to the type of probe used for the router's connectivity check.
Jojo said this was being raised with Thomson.
David
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just to make this more interesting:
I changed the DNS on my v8 and had exactly the same thing, indication of no connectivity to plusnet, google and openDNS in turn (each indicated red crosses in the test), I then tried the DNSaddresses from my laptop which runs a dynDNS client (so these would be the dynDNS servers) and then got green ticks for the entire connectivity test.  I have no idea why these servers should pass the Thomson test when others do not.  All the addresses I tried respond to a ping (which is a basic test of connectivity) so what is the Thomson router doing?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys, just to let you know, as Jim says there have been a few mentions of this lately which I have been taking note of. I have gathered a few examples and have our guy who deals with Thomson looking into it.
Jojo Smiley