cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v8/Access Points/apartment building

masshouse1210

Thomson TG585 v8/Access Points/apartment building

Hi there,
My friend and I have just moved in to a new apartment. We are friends with the people living in the flat below and to the right of us. We can pick up their wireless internet but only a very weak connection. They have a Thomson TG585 v8 router. We were advised to buy an access point to put in our flat which would then connect wirelessly to their Thomson router to increase the signal strength, so we could basically split the rental between the two flats and save £
I purchased a Planet 802.11n wireless access point yesterday. I have managed to get it setup, named, password protected and connected to the Thomson router but only using an ethernet cable and putting the two routers in the same room, which obviously defeats the purpose as we want the Access Point in our flat on the floor above with no wires involved!
I've been googling and hunting for answers, found a few solutions but all seem incredibly complex, and I'm no IT expert...talking about gateways, clients, bridges etc.
If anyone can explain how I can solve this problem, if it can be solved, that would be great.
I still have the receipts for the Planet AP if I'm going to have to take it back, as I did read somewhere that you may have to use the same brand as the router
Thanks, Steve
4 REPLIES 4
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Thomson TG585 v8/Access Points/apartment building

What I think you need is a Wireless Repeater:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=wi+fi+range+extender&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=13...
You'd have to have it in the first flat, i.e. where the signal is strong enough for it to pick up, and it will repeat the signal through the wall out into your flat.
I think I need to have a read of our ts and cs to see if this is a breach of them though Wink
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
frank39
Grafter

I am not familiar with your hardware so I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do.
I have a problem with the range of my wireless router (Thomson 585) and I have attached an access point at the other end of my house.  In my case I had a spare Belkin 54g cable router that can be re-configured (using the Belkin internal menu) as an access point.  I have put that at the end of a 40m ethernet cable and set up the wireless network on the Belkin to have the same name and password as the 585.  My wireless devices find my network just fine, those that can show 2 access points when I am range of both and connect to the stronger one.  I have just replaced my 585 and the arrangement still works.  The maximum number of attached devices on my LAN has been six: 2 iPads, PS3, netbook, Nokia smartphone and a desktop on ethernet.
I have had this working for over a year, I get 14M download and 370k upload speeds
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: masshouse1210
We are friends with the people living in the flat below and to the right of us

Are they Plusnet users? If so I suggest you should make them aware of the following in the Plusnet Residential Standard Terms:
13. You may only use the service for your own personal use and enjoyment.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
frank39
Grafter

I take your point about extending your LAN to neighbours - I hadn't spotted that, but the wording of the T&Cs needs some attention.  They suggest that the use is limited to the account holder and not his family, guests etc..  That can't be right, they must mean ' you and members of your household'.