cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v7 and TP-Link TL-WA850RE

rogerfirth

Thomson TG585 v7 and TP-Link TL-WA850RE

I have been struggling for 5 days to make the TP-Link wifi range extender TL-WA850RE work with my Plusnet Thomson router TG585 v7 and have finally given up in disgust.
The installation was not easy, but once achieved, although my wifi devices (iPad and Windows vista laptop) could "see" the extender's signal well enough, neither of them could log on to it. I have got nowhere with helplines.
Is anyone able to offer advice?
Roger
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 and TP-Link TL-WA850RE

I've never used one of those but I'll have a try at helping. Smiley
I assume it (the TL-WA850RE) finds and connects to the Wireless of the TG585 ?
The manual seems a bit vague and uses some strange terminology but my guess would be its the LAN setup you need to get right.
From the manual page 19 , set the Type to SmartIP(DHCP) , set the IP to 192.168.1.63 ( in the TG585 subnet, but out of its DHCP range ) and the gateway to 192.168.1.254 ( the TG585 ).
That (I think!) should disable its own DHCP server and thus all wireless clients will be allocated IP addresses fom the TG585. The  TL-WA850RE should be accessible on 192.168.1.63.
NB all that assumes the TG585 is at factory defaults.
Let us know how that goes.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

rogerfirth

Good morning MisterW, and thank you for your prompt response.
Dear God, that looks horribly precise, and is verging on the boundary of my competence. I bought the device because it promised "automatic setup within 5 minutes using only 2 button presses", or WTTE. In fact, it took 4 hours to set up, due to differences between the Thomson router, and what their instructions anticipated.
Circumstances have advanced, to the stage where I took the TP-Link back to the shop yesterday afternoon, and got my money refunded. The issue remains however, as in due course I shall probably try again with a different product.
So the nature of my question alters slightly:
(a) Is the underlying cause of the problem the fact that the Thomson is a few years old, and incompatible with current technology? (it has no wps button for example)
(b) or is it that the TP-Link should be backwards compatible, and isn't?
(Your suggested procedure reminded me uncomfortably of  Windows 3.1 days, before plug-n-play, when one could cheerfully spend a week or more installing a new printer.)
Since I want an "off-the-shelf" solution, I need to know what to avoid in future.
Again, thanks for your help. Sorry I can't test it!
Roger.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

(a) Is the underlying cause of the problem the fact that the Thomson is a few years old, and incompatible with current technology? (it has no wps button for example)
No, ok the TG585 doesn't have wireless n and WPS but that shouldn't be a problem. You don't need to use WPS to connect an extender, it should be capable of searching for an existing routers wireless and connecting to it when given the network key.
(b) or is it that the TP-Link should be backwards compatible, and isn't?
It seems to be trying to be 'all things to all men' and as such, seems to have lots of options ( and a badly worded manual to boot! ). A simple wireless extender should just connect to an existing network and 'bridge' the connection to the existing router i.e be transparent to any clients.
Having said all that I've never had much joy with wireless extenders per say. If its possible, run a single cat5e network cable from the existing router to where the wireless extension needs to be, and then connect it to a simple wireless access point (AP).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Headman54

Hi
I had problems with my set up. My router is the TG582N I'm not sure if that makes any difference. I was days trying to get it to connect. As you say no help talking to a lady in China. But in the end it worked. Plug the extender in and  have a cup of tea after a while my connects. That is if you see all the flashing blue lights as per the instructions. The signal strength lights only come on when it connects. Try it in the next room from your router and as you go further away the strength lights will be less. My extender works well with a 25% signal strength increase on the other side of the house.