cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG585 v7 - No wireless connection

manji

Thomson TG585 v7 - No wireless connection

Hi,
I have just switched to PlusNet and after having initial problems connecting at all due to a problem with the authorisation of the username and password which were rectified,  I now can't connect wirelessly using the Thomson TG585 v7 router.
I have a Dell pc that has Windows Vista operating system which gets used all over the world to connect wirelessly and have never had any problems. I currently connect to Plusnet using the ethernet cable which works absolutely fine. When I try and connect in wireless mode the pc either finds the Plusnet wireless connection with a full signal but won't allow me to connect (even though the diagnosis states there is no problem) OR it can't find the signal at all.
I have checked the pc's Firewall settings, any interferring signals, security settings, password etc and there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to connect apart from the fact that there is something wrong with the router.
Does anyone else have any ideas at all please....I'm clueless!!
Cheers!
11 REPLIES 11
HaydnExport
Grafter

Re: Thomson TG585 v7 - No wireless connection

Try deleting the network connection in windows then do a reset of the routers ettings and start again, i had a vista pc about a month ago and i had the same sort of problems.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

If you look through recent posts, there have been two threads from new Plusnet subscribers having difficulty making the wireless on their Plusnet-supplied routers work.  I don't think those supposedly errant routers have been retested at Plusnet Towers yet so the jury is still out but it's possible Plusnet have a bad batch.  HaydnExport's advice is good, though.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm still waiting to get one of these routers in to test so if all else fails, please send it back marked for my attention so I can have a good look at what's going on.
manji

Many thanks all. I am just going to try to connect to my Apple mac tonight and if that also doesn't work it must be a fault with the router.
Ben, if I send it through to you which address should I use?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

FAO Ben Trimble, Digital Care
Plusnet
Internet House
2, Tenter Street
Sheffield
S1 4BY
Ta.
manji

Cheers Ben, Before I do I'm going to test another wireless router. If this works then it's obviously a problem with the Thomson. I'll let you know.
BRABUS
Grafter

Try upgrading the router to firm ware version Version 8.2.6.5 firmware (Plusnet branded), this has worked for me and a few friends who have also had the same issue you describe.
Follow the instructions here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
I have also found that trying different wifi channels can help find a stable set up once you have altered your firmware.
NorthRiding
Grafter

Sorry if this is a stupid question, firmware is different from software I presume?
Had intermittent problems with my wireless side of the router so went to check.
Having logged on to my router, it shows Software Release: 8.2.23.0 Software Variant: GX Boot Loader Version: 1.0.0  Product Code: 36588280 Board Name: CANT-P
Where do I check the "firmware"?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Software is firmware when it runs on a device, independent of your computer operating system.  I presume your firmware version is 8.2.23.0 
NorthRiding
Grafter

Quote from: BRABUS
Try upgrading the router to firm ware version Version 8.2.6.5 firmware (Plusnet branded), this has worked for me and a few friends who have also had the same issue you describe.
Follow the instructions here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
I have also found that trying different wifi channels can help find a stable set up once you have altered your firmware.
So when Brabus says "Try upgrading the router to firm ware version Version 8.2.6.5 firmware" to help with wireless difficulties, does he mean that firm ware version Version 8.2.6.5 firmware is "newer" than 8.2.23.0 software variant. I always read these version details as 8.2.23.0 being higher/later/more up to date than version 8.2.6.5?
Is this not true in this case or is the suggestion that 8.2.6.5 is the best version to use?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suspect firmware version 8.2.23.0 was given an incorrect number. Version 8.2.6.5 is more recent than that including '23'.
David