cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson TG 585v8 WIfi signal

trishah
Dabbler

Thomson TG 585v8 WIfi signal

My router is in the same room a my desktop PC which is connected by Ethernet.
The signal is good there but elsewhere in the house very poor, my iPad2 very rarely picks it up unless I am near the router,then it often drops it when I go into the other room, the laptop is ok on one to two bars.
I have had a discussion in the hardware forum about it but rather than buy home plugs and mess about, I wondered if I would be better off with the Technicolor router that you now supply rather than the TG585v8
If so. would you be able to supply one ?
Regards
Pat
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Thomson TG 585v8 WIfi signal

Try turning off the "n" in the wireless interface, so it's just b/g. See if that makes any difference.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I would certianly suggest trying what Anotherone suggested first. If not have a look at our <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/wireless_broadband/index.shtml?supporta=wifi/">wireless troubleshooter</a> and try a few steps there. This will show you how to log-in to your router's interface and change your settings.
If you still have no joy then we can certainly supply you with a new Technicolor TG582n router, but first of all I would advise to try the steps above.
trishah
Dabbler

I have changed the setting, I can't see very much improvement, I get a weak signal on the iPad2 and 3 bars on the laptop, I will try it like that for a day or so and see what happens, as long as it is functional I can manage. I changed the channel to No6 a few days ago as all the others seem to be on 1
Is the other router a better one ?
Thanks
Pat
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

The Technicolor 582n is a better router than the Thomson 585, if you have no joy over the next day or so, call our support team on 0800 432 0200 who can arrange the delivery of one, the terms for the router are: £4.99 P&P, the router will be free of charge providing you are with us for the next 12 months, if not then a charge of £40 for the router would apply.
Any other queries with this, then let me know.
Chris