cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Router stable connection but poor wireless network

GordonWT

Thomson Router stable connection but poor wireless network

I have spent a fortune on various routers but all of them would fall over every day or so and require rebooting.  After several logged faults, Plusnet sent me a Thomson router and the connection is very stable but my wireless network is a nightmare.  My HP Plus B210 network printer becomes invisible to my PC, laptop and iPad 2 every day.  I have to reboot router, reboot printer and iPad to get the printer working again.  I have similar problems with my Squeezebox Classic music player and my 2 PS3's.  My iPhone 4 keeps disconnecting from Wi-Fi and going on to 3G instead.
My other routers suffered none of these network problems but, as I mentioned earlier, they would lock up daily, requiring a complete reboot.  The download speeds used to fluctuate wildly as well.  Using the Plusnet supplied Thomson router the speed is a steady 13mb.
Does anyone have any tips for getting a functional wireless network from the Thomson TG585 v8?
Thanks.
Gordon
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Thomson Router stable connection but poor wireless network

Looks like some sort of generic problem.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you assign a static IP to the printer (eg 192.168.1.16) does it still 'disappear'?
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: GordonWT
Does anyone have any tips for getting a functional wireless network from the Thomson TG585 v8?

Make sure it is running the latest firmware, 8.2.7.8, and if not go here http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7... (which also covers the v8 router despite, the page title).
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the above suggestions don't improve things, now that you have the broadband side of things stable, what you could do is get hold of a "Wireless Access Point" and plug that into your Thomson router.
That way you can -
1-  Keep you stable broadband router.
2-  Choose a WAP with better dedicated performance than the integrated wireless of the router.
3-  Site the router near the master phone socket for best ADSL performance, and mount the WAP where it will give best wireless coverage.
4-  You could switch off the Thomson's wireless if the WAP gives sufficient coverage.
5-  You could leave the Thomson wireless on, and also have the WAP set to the same SSID but on a different channel, which may give you better coverage than just one device.
paulmh5
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If you have an iPoney or Pad you should be able to get an app from the store for detecting other wireless networks.  It may be an idea to have a look see what else is in the area or if you not comfortable doing that just change the channel anyway.
Some devicesdon'tt get on with channel 12 or 13 which could be an issue.  The non-overlapping ones are 1, 6 and 11 although if they are really busy (by using the iPhone tools) 3 or 9 should get you a clear enough signal.
If your not happy with messing around with the wifi channel I'm sure the CSC can talk you through it.
Plusnet Staff - Lead Network Design/Delivery Engineer
puddy
Grafter

Have you tried buying a router that cost around £100 ?  Try something like a Draytek I can recommend Draytek 2710n model I get no  dropped connections and my download speeds about 7.5mg and a sync at a constant sync 8128.
In addition  you can connect a usb printer and /or usb hard drive for a network type setup.  Some models in the 2710 range  can run a dect phones and there also a VoIP model too.  The wireless speeds 300mbps unlike the Speedtouch which push out only 54mbps but make sure your wireless cards is n compatible first.  In my dining room my speedtouch gave me problems I only got  1 bar signal but with my draytek I get 4 bars now which is a great improvement
Some say the BiPAC 7800n router works well but I had problems with my ip camera login screen it kept bring up the router login screen instead.
Puddy
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI GordonWT
Your router has the older version of the firmware. I can upgrade it from here for you but it'll be offline for about 10 minutes while it processes. Let me know when it's convenient for you and I'll get it done. Once it's upgraded you'll find that you no longer have connectivity issues with your devices.
Jojo Smiley
GordonWT

Hi Jojo
I would be grateful if you could update my router for me.  I tried (and failed) to do this myself  Embarrassed
Anytime between 9am and 1pm would be fine if I don't have to be there (I will be at work!!).
If I do have to be there then I am usually home for lunch at 1:15pm.
Cheers Smiley
Gordon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi GordonWT,
Just doing that now, so should be complete in the next 10 mins.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ok, that's completed now, let me know how you get on connecting your devices. Smiley
GordonWT

Thanks Jojo
The update is complete and is now showing 8.2.7.8
Fingers crossed it cures my wireless probs!!
I will let you know how I get on.
Cheers
Gordon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Gordon, I'm sure it'll be fine Smiley
GordonWT

Thanks to Joanne everything is working fine. 
The printer is no longer invisible and my Squeezebox updated itself and got back on the network without me having to reboot the router.
Thanks to all for advice  Smiley
Gordon
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's great Gordon, thanks for letting me know Smiley