cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Router Wireless Problem

shazwildcat
Dabbler

Thomson Router Wireless Problem

I'll try and keep this concise as I'm just looking for a possible quick fix before I go down the support route.
I have my main PC connected through the ethernet, and a laptop, printer, wii and 2 ipod touches that used to connect happily on wireless.
I turned off UPnP on my Thomson router to try and fix a gaming connection problem. When I next tried to connect any of the wireless devices they wouldn't work properly. They could all connect and be seen in the routers wireless connections, but the internet devices could not get external sites or applications, and the printer wouldn't print.
So I turned UPnP back on and it made no difference. Wireless devices will connect to the router, but do not work as expected.
Since then I have restored to defaults, upgraded the firmware and it's still not working.
So am I looking at a duff router that just coincidentally developed a wireless problem when I changed the UPnP, or is there something else wrong deeper in the settings that isn't getting overwritten by factory resets?
Any help appreciated, and I'm happy to dig around in the settings on the router to try and get this sorted.
thanks
Sharon
6 REPLIES 6
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thomson Router Wireless Problem

Does the wired PC work as normal? If that shows the same issues it would suggest a DNS issue, which should be resolved if you put the IP addresses in to the router manually (212.159.6.9, 212.159.6.10 or 212.159.13.49, 212.159.13.50)
shazwildcat
Dabbler

The wired PC is working normally, it's just the wireless devices that have a problem. And the DNS is showing Connectivity to DNS Server 1 (212.159.6.9), Connectivity to DNS Server 2 (212.159.6.10)
Edit: I can now connect on my ipod but its very slow so most things time out.
(side note: the version 8 router firmware is also slow - is there much difference to 7, or can I safely go back to that?)
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'm not sure about wireless speed, but version 7 has the vulnerability so if you do reflash with that one please make sure you change the default password to access the router's pages.
shazwildcat
Dabbler

Got support ticket in for this now - ID: 32560028- not holding out much hope as the 1st ( and only reply so far) told me to use the reset button. As I used pretty much the same explanation as here they should have noticed I already tried that!
Getting fed up now, having to use an old spare belkin that will only do wep security Sad
Is there any chance plusnet will come up with an answer, or replace my router? Switching off UpnP shouldn't have confused the wireless like this. Especially not once I switched it back on!
shazwildcat
Dabbler

Just an update on this - Plusnet sent a new router and all is working again.  Smiley
BRABUS
Grafter

This seems to be a common issue with these routers.  My 2nd one from PN in 2 months has now just started to constantly drop the wireless again.
I am getting a bit fed up to be honest especially as my wife is long term sick and mainly bed bound so its not practical for her to have wires running across the house so she can use the interent Sad