cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson Router - Poor WiFi Performance

got2getatan
Grafter

Thomson Router - Poor WiFi Performance

Been down this road a couple of years ago.  Moved from Plusnet to Bt because Hub suited my WiFi needs. Moved back after a few years because of pricing and customer service.  Thomson router no good for my WIFi needs a bit hit and mis so I been using my old Hub2 which is ok but not always great.  Router central and have two locations where I need a good signal to 2 Sky boxes and laptops. Have tried netgear extenders are not 100% and a plug in through the wiring just will not work in my property.  What do you think my options are - switch to BT with there Hub4(live in the sticks /basic BB signal/no fibre) or fork out on another solution/router. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Thomson Router - Poor WiFi Performance

You could pick a HH4 for under £30 delivered on a certain internet action site. Would swapping back to BT be cheaper over the length of the contract than buying a HH4 at that price and paying Plusnet for their service?
Did you swap to Plusnet on price or was it something else?
Regards
George
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
got2getatan
Grafter

Main reason for swapping to plus net was that I could not understand call centre staff in India, BT was ok until something started to go wrong. I have seen somewhere that purchasing a Hub4 that I would net an Open Reach white box, do they mean the telephone master socket or something else that I would have to purchase. The price BT have given me for a similar  BB/phone package is about the same although Plusnet Customer Service say they are cheaper. It boils down to getting the best WiFi router without shelving out £180. Thanks.
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Hi
I don't use the HH4 so I cannot comment on what is needed to run ADSL. I'm fortunate enough to be on an fttp trial link although that isn't plain sailing.
According to the Which website, the HH4 contains a modem http://www.which.co.uk/technology/computing/reviews/wireless-routers/bt-home-hub-4--adsl-/specificat... for ADSL use.
Perhaps others can comment?
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

You only need the "Openreach white box" if you are on FTTC - the Hub 4 has ADSL built in, the Hub 5 has both ADSL and VDSL built in and so doesn't need the separate modem.
As you are not on FTTC, either the Hub 2, 3, 4 or 5 will work fine with your Plusnet connection.
got2getatan
Grafter

Thanks for that. I assume that that the Hub4 is better than the Hub2 which I am using at the moment.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not a lot in it really, but the Hub 2 I think may be a re-badged Thomson router, so probably got the same wireless issues.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Nope the HH2 is/was a LOT better than the PN router in the wifi department.
But a HH3/4/5 from freecycle/ebay/etc will be cheaper than moving to a new 12/8 month contract.
got2getatan
Grafter

Was talking to the PN CO team yesterday and told them options next month were get a better router and stop with PN or move to BT and get their issued H4. PN offered to knock just under £3 per month for two years if I stay with them for that period of time. I was thinking of getting a TP-Link Archer C7 for £110 but looking at the reviews they have had a lot of problems connecting to Apple devices and I have an IPad 1. I'm still not decided which way to go.