cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson 585 v7

craig

Thomson 585 v7

Hi the question i'd like to ask is. I've had the above router for quite some time now
Would it be worth while upgrading, I'm after better wi-fi performance.
If so could you recommend an upgrade
Don't mind purchasing one
Easy setup would be greatly appreciated
kind regards
Craig
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Thomson 585 v7

Hi Craig,
We can send you a Technicolor TG582n for £5.99 if you like.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: craig
.. I'm after better wi-fi performance.

Lips_are_sealed
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
craig

Adam thanks, do you think the TG582n would give improved wi-fi performance
dvorak do you mean the thomson is not very good by your reply. I don't mind the craic, as you've probably guessed my knowledge is limited to say the least.
Don't mind spending a bit of cash to get more modern equipment.
Hoping the forum could offer me a few suggestions.
regards
Craig
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've used both and in comparison the TG582n has been much better for me personally. I don't use it any more but that's only because I decided to go for a TG589 (2 in 1 fibre modem/router)
I'd take a look around for other posts about routers here and you'll see there's a lot of opinions (some differing!) about different hardware but there's my personal and unbiased experience Wink

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dvorak

i found the wi-fi performance to be less than other routers and if you look around the forums the wi-fi is the oft most complained about bit of it.
it's not a bad router in itself (certainly for the money) but as you mentioned better wifi specifically might not give you what you were looking for.
wifi also depends what your devices can handle, i've got a wireless ac access point which is great for my devices as they can use it.
Customer / Moderator
craig

Cheers guy's
my devices are iMac (2012) mac book pro retina (2013) iPad Air along with iPhone 5. I don't think either the mbp or iMac are ac enabled. I've been looking at the airport extreme but Im a little confused as to whether its a modem router or router. I've read posts on here that recommend stand alone modem, stand alone router. I'm concerned about was easy setup as reading on here again it can be sometimes be a nightmare to "newbie"
kind regards
Craig
dvorak

i've got an airport extreme.. this is plugged into a 582 in bridged mode as you are correct in your thinking that it doesn't have a modem.
you should be able to do the same with your existing router.
the mpb, air and iphone will use the 5ghz band to connect which will give you better performance than you get now.
Customer / Moderator
craig

dvorak many many thanks for that info. is there a reason why you use the 582, did you consider other modems. Is there any advantage in using a plusnet supplied device. What should I be looking for if I decided to get stand alone modem.
kind regards
Craig
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You can use your existing TG585v7 (in bridge mode) as a ADSL modem, it will be just as good as anything else.
dvorak

Quote from: craig
s there a reason why you use the 582,

i'm on fibre so was using the aiport extreme on its own plugged into the fibre modem, but needed the 582 to look at something and just kind of left it there for the time being.
more of an example that you can just plug the ae into your existing router.
Customer / Moderator
craig

Really appreciate your replies guys, got an AE today. I'll let you know how I get on......
regards
Craig