cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thomson 585 V7 router.... Securing it?

adriang
Grafter

Thomson 585 V7 router.... Securing it?

The problem with my router is it used to be an O2 router which i bought outright. Is there any way to clear the O2 crap out of it? (ie internet connection has O2 rubbish there and no way i can see to add plus net to it).
I would like to secure it as best as possible also, im sure i read something about telnet to do this. Does anyone have any adivce or ideas for this?
Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Thomson 585 V7 router.... Securing it?

Updating or reflashing the firmware should do the trick, please take look at this post: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
adriang
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
Updating or reflashing the firmware should do the trick, please take look at this post: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/how-to-upgradedowngrade-the-firmware-on-the-thomson-585v7...

Hi adam
the 8265 isnt compatible trying the others now
adriang
Grafter

None of those bin files work, as i say the router has "Oh 2" wireless box written on it.
Surely there must be some way to get rid of the O2 rubbish?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi adriang,
It may be that it's locked to their network, in much the same way mobile phones are. I know Sky do that with their Netgear ones.
Jojo Smiley
carrot63
Grafter

adriang
Grafter

yeah seems the O2 box is locked to O2 unless you get the solder out...!!
Looks like ill have to buy one, any recommendations?
Thanks guys
Grin
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi adriang,
We can supply you with a thomson 4 port wireless 585v7 for just 4.99 P&P (there would be a £40 charge if you left us within 12 months though- after that it's yours) I can sort that for you now and one of the main advantages is that our staff are fully trained on troubleshooting any issues with it as well as being able to dispatch another one immediately if it were to fail.
Just let me know if you want to and I'll do it for you.
Jojo Smiley
adriang
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi adriang,
We can supply you with a thomson 4 port wireless 585v7 for just 4.99 P&P (there would be a £40 charge if you left us within 12 months though- after that it's yours) I can sort that for you now and one of the main advantages is that our staff are fully trained on troubleshooting any issues with it as well as being able to dispatch another one immediately if it were to fail.
Just let me know if you want to and I'll do it for you.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Joanne
Sounds like a plan!  How fast would I get it as my go live date is the 19th so I would like to have it by then if possible?  I would be worried about security also, I mean the router im sure comes with your own firmware so how much control do I have over the secuirty of it (ie removal of superusers via telnet etc).
Thanks