Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson router help needed.

snapper_mart
Grafter

Thompson router help needed.

Hi,
Hope someone can help me with this one. I have the Plusnet Thompson TG585v7 router. I have a desktop PC running Windows 7, which I use as a PVR to record TV programmes using Windows Media Center. I am trying to stream these recordings to my laptop (also  running windows 7).  I have no problems streaming avi's etc using VLC, but Media Center seems to struggle (video stutters)
I ran a test on the network which gave me results of a network read/write speed of around 4mbps. I have tried moving both computers to 2 feet away from the router, but this made no difference to the network speed. I then connected the laptop to the router via a cable and left the Desktop on a wireless connection, and managed 18mbps. Media Center worked fine at this faster speed.
  Does anyone have any ideas how I can improve the wireless performance?
Thanks,
Martin.

2 REPLIES 2
itsme
Grafter

Re: Thompson router help needed.

I'm not sure what the overheads are on WiFI but the maximum speed for g will be 27Mbps for upstream and downstream (27+27=54).
I have 2 desktops, one is wired and the other is wireless. I download TV programmes on the wired desktop but then copy the file across to the wireless desktop. When I do this I see a similar speed of 18Mbps and I'm not sure whether the limiting factor is the WiFi or PC hardware. The only way to find out is to upgrade to n technology.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Thompson router help needed.

I guess it depends where the media center PC is, but if it's near the router it'll probably be worth running that on a wired connection - as you've seen that does improve the bandwidth available, even if only one of the two PCs is wired. I guess it's down to where everything's located though.