Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson TG585 v7 reboots

Knotty
Grafter

Thompson TG585 v7 reboots

Hi all,
I have the Thimpson TG585 v7 supplied to me by plusnet, everyday, random times, maybe twice somedays, it just cycles itself into a boot.
I lose the internet connection, and when I check, the router is already restarting itself.
Any ideas what could be causing it?
Checking the logs only shows after boot: 00:00:02 (since last boot) KERNEL Warm restart
Cheers,
Adam
6 REPLIES 6
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: Thompson TG585 v7 reboots

Hi Knotty,
It could be that your modem/router is fault but sadly it's also out of warranty.  We can provide you with a new modem (Thomson 585v8) if you agree to remain with us for a further 12 months and agree to the delivery charge of £4.99.  If you would like us to send you a new router then just raise a support ticket and ensure you have a valid credit or debit card attached to your account.
rhohne
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The 4 minute reboot cycle can be very annoying.
The TG585v8 is not immune to the reboot problem. Both the routers I was supplied with suffered with the same problem. Have since gone back to using an old netgear, doesn't synch as high, higher line attenuation, but at least it hasn't performed any random reboots.
Knotty
Grafter

wow, its not even that old! I think I will just wait for it to become so bad that I will buy a decent replacement.
Anyone have a good recommendation?
Gorvul
Grafter

I might be having a similar problem knotty - that's not any help to you maybe though.  Mine is the same router, and I've been having problems since I flashed/upgraded  the firmware, which I did cos it was suggested by plusnet to other people, on these forums, to problems related to xbox live.  Since then, been getting disconnects, and maybe similar to yourself, the restarts.
Before you write off the router, you could try to upgrade the firmware though, if you don't have the latest firmware.  I know this advice kind of contradicts my above paragraph, but at the same time it might solve your problem. I don't have the xbox live problem now that I had before, when I'm connected.
Plusnet website has the software to flash the firmware and the firmware versions, - at least they did a week or 2 ago
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

If you want to try upgrading the TG585v7 or TG585v8 firmware the software needed and instructions are given in this Community Support Library article.
David
wando5000

I did this but the internet connection is still is not working on the laptop although the IPAD is fine.
when i view a list of available wireless connections I can see 3 including the plusnet one. The other 2 belonging to my neighbours show a little symbol with 5 vertical bars / signal strength. But the plusnet one shows a red cross. When i look in 'network connections'  the status is 'not connected'.