cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson ST516 Help

KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Thompson ST516 Help

Right I've been meaning to ask this since I got plus.net 3 months ago, need to know how to properly set this modem up so its "just a modem"
Basically I have my own network already using the Linksys WRT54GS Ver7 using the custom DD-WRT Firmware (damn fine firmware if you ask me)
My old network at home before I moved was set up like this
Virgin Media Cable Modem
Ethernet connected to
Linksys Router
Then all my machines off that (Pc,Wii,Xbox360,PS3,mobile,PSP etc)
Now since I can't get cable here I had to switch to ADSL and I didn't want to go out and buy a new £60 ADSL router for my network, so I've set it up like this
Thompson Router
Ethernet connection to (going into what would be the Ethernet port if you had a cable modem)
Linksys Router
Then like above everything comes off the Linksys
Now I've set it so the Linksys always uses the same IP from the Thompson.
Basically I'm trying to get my Thompson to act like a cable modem does, ie I've turned the firewall off (its non wireless too) . But I still get problem when connecting to some games and find that I have to port forward using the games and applications menu on my Thompson, which is annoying. I want the Thompson to let everything through and let my Linksys deal with ports, firewall etc. I don't mind that because the only thing connected to my Modem is the Linksys router so there's no chance of anyone actually access anything, the modem isn't wireless my linksys deals with that with 28 key encryption.
Basically If I turn off firewall (which i just have) and the Extended Security and UPnP it'll let everything through? Leaving my Linksys to deal with it all like it used too on my Cable modem connection.
Because I've done that and my iPhone still won't connect to google mail Sad via my wireless network and it think its because the Thompson is blocking it. (though that could be a gmail problem)
2 REPLIES 2
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Thompson ST516 Help

Can the linksys do ppoa authentication? if so then you can set the st516 as a bridge and everything will be done by the linksys, otherwise, set the ip address used by the linksys as the DMZ in the ST's setup and it will forward all traffic to it.
KingPenguinUK
Grafter

Re: Thompson ST516 Help

It does PPPoE and PPTP under Wan Setup