cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson Router won't let Sonos or Apple connect for streaming

Rainmaker

Thompson Router won't let Sonos or Apple connect for streaming

I can't connect with Apple TV to stream photo's or music/movie libraries located on another device or a computer.Seems to work OK with Apple TV films to rent their films (if a little slow to download) but won't share media from other device libraries unless I reboot the router first each time which is hardly user friendly.
Its the same deal with a new Sonos music streaming system-the router doesn't seem to want to connect-and with Apple's 'Back to my Mac' function.The message -'Back to My Mac may be slow because NAT-PMP or UPnP is turned off on your router.
Could this be the root cause of my problem and ,if so ,any ideas how I resolve it?
In advance ,thanks all.
12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Thompson Router won't let Sonos or Apple connect for streaming

@Rainmaker
Hi there, sorry for the delayed response from us lot!
I've just been mulling this one over with a colleague who has Apple TV and we'd like you to consider some basics first. We're wondering are all the devices on your network connected through wireless or is it part ethernet/part wireless/part powerline etc? if its the latter where as that works fine for someone like myself using a couple of windows machine a phone or two and a console it fine but won't be ideal for Apple products.
Also turning off PMP or uPnP would be more appropriate if it was a constant issue but seeing as a reboot fixes it we're more doubtful about that but no harm in trying all the same.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
howiemartinez
Dabbler

Hey there,
I've had an absolutely torrid 3 weeks trying to get Apple TV to work on PlusNet. After many tickets and (literally) hours on the phone to various techies, I think I've finally got the solution.
It took me ages to identify whether the problem was with the router/ wireless interference/ faulty Apple TV/ Mavericks/ Laptop - it appears that the WPA encryption was the issue causing the conflict.
After changing to WEP it appears to work all the time. Airplay is always visible both the MacMini and my Macbook Air. I finally can now mirror content from MBAir to the TV.
Just wanted to share as it has been doing my head in trying to get it sorted!
Hope this helps x
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

Hope you don't mind me nipping in here.
As you're probably aware, WEP is totally insecure to anyone with the ability to sit within range of your network, run Linux and read a webpage.  Smiley
However, I've come across quite a few devices that can get "confused" and refuse to connect to routers with mixed mode (WPA/WPA2 and so on) encryption. 
Disabling this in the router and just choosing one or the other has usually sorted it out in the cases where there has been no software/driver/firmware updates for the wifi connecting device in question.
howiemartinez
Dabbler

Not at all. The more the merrier.
Totally appreciate how insecure WEP is compared to WPA, but I've just had a look at the router but the only options in terms of encryption are: WEP/ WPA-PSK/ Disabled.
Luckily I live in a densely populated area (currently over 20 wifi connections showing atm) so I'm taking my chances on WEP so I can get Apple TV up and running.
Apparently there's some where on this forum where I can request a firmware update for the router? Can you point me in the right direction?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

howiemartinez
Dabbler

Thank you
howiemartinez
Dabbler

Can Plusnet upgrade me to 585v8 version 8.2.7.8 remotely, or do I have to do it myself?
I only ask as I'm on a MBAir that doesn't have an ethernet connection, and the advice is to update the firmware wired as opposed to wirelessly.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

they can push it down for you.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
karmathing

I am having a similar issue, having recently moved to PlusNet. I have an ISP supplied Sagemcom 2704N router with up-to-date firmware.
All previous ISP routers worked with no hitch. 3rd gen Apple TV plays web delivered content fine, but refuses to load media from within the network - eg Home Sharing or Airplay. No WEP option available in the security page (it's greyed out and unselectable in the drop-down). To be frank I would rather not use WEP anyway. Online chat told me it must be the Apple TV that's not working, which I doubt.
If anyone has a suitable fix I would be be very grateful or I'll need to change ISP!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i've never had any problems with mine, but it's always wired and not wifi.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
karmathing

I'm glad you're not in the same boat, Dvorak. Rather me than you!
However as my router and television are not in the same rooms it's not a practical answer in my case. I would love the wifi router to just work! Having moved to Plusnet for a good deal it's not ideal to lose the saving by buying another router or messing up my house with a bunch of cat5 cabling.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Homeplugs?