cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson 585v8 and Apple iPhone remote! please help..

OutSpoken

Thompson 585v8 and Apple iPhone remote! please help..

Hi Guys, complete noob here...
OK ...I won't beat around the bush...
My issue is: I have an iPhone 4 and Macbook Pro.
I have downloaded the Apple remote app for iTunes 10.
I have a very strange problem: The remote app can't see my iTunes library via wifi unless I reset the router. Once the router is reset it will work flawlessly until I either disconnect for a long period of time or until the app is idle for a long period too (I think).
This problem also happens when I try to remote desktop from my iPhone using various software e.g SplashTop remote. The apps won't see my Mac unless I reset the router, again it gives me a message saying it could not reach my IP 192.XXX XXXX....etc
The weird thing is I have a strong WiFi connection on both my Mac and iPhone. Huh
I rang and spoke with a tech guy from PlusNet who said he's heard of the problem before, something to do with the iPhone possibly changing the channel Huh whatever that means... But I've checked the phones network settings but there doesnt seem to be anything that sticks out to me to switch off/on.
His only advice was to check the apple forum Roll_eyes I dunno, I sort of feel the problem lies with the router not the iPhone.

Please can someone offer some advice, just by searching around a bit I noticed there aren't many apple users on here...especially with this problem.

Cheers
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Thompson 585v8 and Apple iPhone remote! please help..

Have you upgraded the firmware on the TG585v8 to the latest version 8.2.7.8? If yours is still 8.2.7.7 upgrading is likely to fix the wireless problem. The software and instructions are available here.
Unfortunately the flashing utility is only available for Windows PCs; do you have access to one of those?
David
OutSpoken

Thanks for your advice spraxyt, IT WORKED! Smiley
I managed to do the update last night, via a windows machine, (why no apple love? anyhoo)...  Once firmware flashed, the router naturally reset itself; therefore everything worked as normal, meaning the apple remote app was talking to my mac/iTunes. But before I could come on here and thank you I wanted to make sure it would still operate as it should the following day after some idle time, as normally it wouldn't reconnect.
But I am please to report, without the need of resetting my router it's still working.  Wink
I had a feeling it was the router, just a little annoyed the PlusNet rep I spoke with wasn't more helpful, instead sending me on a wild goose chase.

I just hope the update doesn't bring other issues, I was looking through the stickied thread above on the problems with v8 upgrade. Undecided
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Glad to hear upgrading solved the problem. Smiley
Do you have a ticket number recording your call to CS? It sounds like the agent you spoke to would benefit from feedback to provide better guidance to other callers.
The main problem in the stickied thread seems to be low upload speeds over wireless, though despite the appearance from that thread that it's a common problem I suspect relatively small numbers are affected. Plusnet have said Thomson have been unable to reproduce it so far. Of course, for those who are affected it is a major issue that needs solving.
David
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI,
I've found the agent and provided the necessary feedback. Sorry for the wild goose chase.
Jojo Smiley
OutSpoken

Wow, good detective work Jojo. Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI OutSpoken,
Just sorry you had to resort to coming here for the answer. I'm not making excuses but new agents have an awful lot to learn so there are going to be times that happens and that's why the feedback system works so well.
Jojo Smiley