cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This many errors an issue?

DeathOfRtas
Grafter

This many errors an issue?

Just noticed this after my connection dropped and I had to restart my router. Errors seem high but maybe its normal. Opinions please!

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:11:11
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,078 / 19,258
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 3.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 62,525
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 5 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 13,767 / 0
10 REPLIES 10
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: This many errors an issue?

What were the error counts immediately after restarting the router? They don't always go back to zero, sometimes start from a negative value which is reported on that web interface page as N/A. Since I assume you didn't record those values, have the numbers changed a lot in the three hours since the previous stats were recorded?
David
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

that's not a lot compared to mine  Wink but as i was told by Mr BT dont worry  about any errors except the CRC ones  Wink
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Bullet
Grafter

Questions
How long have you had adsl2+ ?
Are you suffering from disconnects ?
(If not then you can probably just ignore the errors)
Please post some new router stats
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Nothing to worry about in my opinion, I can see that you've been reconnected for almost 24 hours and if your speeds are OK compared to normal there should be nothing to worry about.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

Hi, I forgot all about this because it seemed to be happening about the same time as the network was having issues so I just attributed it to that. For information though, whenever I reset my router the stats return to zero. My connection never used to drop but to be honest a couple of months ago I would get at least 1 reset a day, ( the funny thing, it always dropped during a good game of mw3,never a bad game  Smiley ). It has improved recently but this 16hrs uptime was not because I reset the router so I must have dropped 16hrs ago.

Uptime: 0 days, 16:07:24
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,022 / 19,258
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 13.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.5 / 4.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 831 / 4,882,480
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 831 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 29,422 / 1
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well to me that suggests a possible filter problem with the CRC & HEC errors on the Upstream. Looking at your initial post 5 CRC errors in 11 minutes! You can forget about the FEC errors, the Thomson always reports huge numbers and they aren't really an issue.
If you have more than one filter plugged in because of extension sockets and phones, sky or whatever, unplug them all except the modem/router one and see if that changes anything.
If you aren't sure if things have changed, or if you've only got the one socket with modem/router and phone in use, then try another filter, but follow this procedure.
Login to the modem/router interface, click on "Disconnect" in the Internet box, this terminates the "ppp" session with the ISP, wait until the button has changed to Connect, then power down the modem/router. Then you can unplug the filter and/or modem/router from the line. Always follow this procedure when you want to swap modem/routers or the filter they are connected to - this helps prevent the exchange equipment thinking you have a dropping connection. When you've done the swap, power up again. You may have to click on "Connect" to restart the "ppp" session.
Post some stats after about an hour. If the CRC & HEC error count hasn't really decreased, you may have to try another modem/router just to check it isn't that causing the problem.
Having said all that, there are a couple of other possibilities. Have a listen to your phone line - can you hear any crackling or other noises?
Are those errors only appearing in small quantities each time you use the phone and you've used the phone a lot,  and/or if you have a cordless phone, unplug it and turn it and it's base station off. Try a corded phone for a while instead.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

I dont have any filters in the house. I have a filtered faceplate at the main Bt socket which the modem connects directly to. Just had another disconnect. Starting to get annoying now. Maybe I should look at the faceplate and make sure the connections are ok?
Anotherone
Champion

No noise on the phone line I take it? What are the current stats like?
What a nuisance not having a filter, you could have eliminated the faceplate as an issue (they can go wrong unfortunately) Is that the BT ADSL plate or one like the XTE-2005?
Use the procedure I outlined in reply #6 when disconnecting, particularly if you are getting drops.
When you take off the faceplate, have a carefully look at the springy contacts in the rear plate that mate with the front plate and make sure they are correctly aligned.
Do you have a spare modem/router to hand you can try if all else fails, to see how it compares?
I'm surprised you get drops that close to the exchange.
DeathOfRtas
Grafter

My phones are cordless. I'm guessing its best to use a corded phone to check for noise on the line? For what it is worth the cordless phones sound fine. I will try borrow a corded phone off someone to check that out. Once I check the faceplate I'll let you know how things look and see if things improve. Maybe all it is is a dodgy contact somewhere. And I will also see about borrowing a router,lol. Might as well check everything!!
Anotherone
Champion

Yep, that's a good plan, dropping connections in the middle of a game you are winning must be sickening. The reason for using a corded phone is that cordless phones in themselves can sometimes cause problems, which I would have thought less likely being that close to the exchange, but also it's just a second phone to check with that won't be vulnerable to other noises.